A random license plate check revealed a stolen car with two firearms on board on June 2 at 2 p.m.

An officer became suspicious of a red, four-door 2004 GMC Canyon as it was cruising through Forest Park.

After checking the license plate number he found that the vehicle was reported stolen on May 19 in Batavia, Ill. The driver was 20-year-old Demetrius P. Gosby. Gosby and his passenger were asked to exit the vehicle with hands up and both were immediately handcuffed.

While Gosby was being led to the officer’s squad car he allegedly asked the officer, “can I be honest with you?” He allegedlly continued to explain to the officer that he had two firearms in the backseat of his car.

After a search was conducted, authorities found a Colt AR-15 AZ .223 caliber rifle and a Sig Arms Saver Model 200 .308 caliber rifle. Along with the guns they also found three armor piercing bullets, police report.

After being read his Miranda Rights Gosby allegedly explained why the SUV was marked stolen. His car was being repaired and while his car was out of commission Smith’s mother had rented them a vehicle, he said. Gosby was allegedly late on several rental payments to Smith’s mother so she reported the Canyon stolen.

Gosby allegedly stated that he found the pair of rifles in an alley at Chicago and Ridgeway. He claimed he was walking down the alley when a car stopped and two men exited the vehicle to place a bag behind a pair of garbage cans. After inspecting the bag he called his cousin to pick him up and they took the two guns. They hid the firearms in a nearby abandoned house.

Gosby planned on selling the firearms to a friend in Oak Park police report. When he drove by his friend’s house he noticed his comrade outside speaking with an Oak Park policeman. He allegedly panicked and continued to drive when he was eventually pulled over.

Gosby was planning to use the money from the sale to pay Smith’s mother for the car rental police report. Gosby failed to show proof of a driver’s license and was charged. The passenger was released with no charges filed.

Thinking inside the box

Three suspects were arrested for allegedly stealing money from a CTA drop box at the Forest Park blue line train station. The incident occurred at 1:25 p.m. on June 1 in the South parking lot.

A Cicero man noticed three men prying at the box with an unknown object when he alerted a CTA security guard and the guard immediately contacted the Forest Park police. The police arrived and apprehended 35-year-old Juan Ramos of Glendale Heights, Santos Mora, 28, and Heriberto Nolasco, 30.

Ramos allegedly had in his possession seven individually stored singles and Mora had a bent wire.

Upon arrival at the police station Mora told authorities his name was Virgilio Carlos Villafan, police report. That name failed to produce any profile so authorities were forced to finger print him and find his true identity. Ramos was wanted in Glendale Heights for obstruction of justice and Nolasco has a previous conviction for retail theft.

Caught red-handed

A Forest Park mother on the 600 block of Circle Avenue noticed that a combined $500 was missing from her children’s piggy banks. She suspected her babysitter, 44-year-old Maureen Prisching.

On May 28 she withdrew six $50 bills and copied down their serial numbers and discreetly marked each one. On the morning of May 31 she allegedly placed three of those $50 bills in each of her son’s piggy banks. She returned at 9:45 a.m. on a work break and allegedly noticed one $50 bill missing from each bank.

After her husband returned home at 3:00 p.m., the two confronted Prisching. When they threatened to alert authorities Prisching allegedly admitted to taking the money and pulled both bills with matching serial numbers out of her bra.

When police came to arrest her, police report she claimed that this was the only instance where she stole from the piggy banks and that she was not responsible for the previously missing funds.

Laidback assailant

Kevin Mabry of Oak Park allegedly assaulted a Forest Park man on May 28 at 7:23 p.m. on the corner of Franklin Street and Harlem Avenue.

The victim was walking southbound down Harlem Avenue when he noticed Mabry, 40, leaning up against a wall of the Nutbush Lounge. Marbry allegedly yelled out to the victim saying, “get away from here.” As the victim turned around Marbry hit him with an open handed slap to the back of the head.

When the victim rose his hands to protect himself Marbry allegedly slugged him in the face.

Authorities asked Marbry why the incident occurred he allegedly responded by saying, “basically he wouldn’t give me any money.” Then, when asked if he hit the victim, Marbry allegedly said, “yea, basically that is all that happened.”

• These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between May 28 and June 5 and represents a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

“compiled by Povilas Zukauskas