Authorities responded to a theft call at the Harlem CTA stop, and ended up using a taser and uncovering drug paraphernalia. The incident occurred on the 700 block of Harlem Avenue on July 17 at 3:31 a.m.

When officers pulled up, they found the suspect, Rachel R. Fluckes, waving $10 in the air, allegedly stating that it was the only money she had on her. The victim, a Berwyn man, stated that he got on the train at Grand in Chicago and was headed to Berwyn with his friend. On the train ride, he said, Fluckes approached him asking for money because she was homeless and needed to eat. The victim told Fluckes that he did not have any money so that she would leave him alone. Fluckes then allegedly told the victim that she had seen him with money and knew he was lying. The victim then reached into his pockets, giving Fluckes all of his change telling her it was all he had.

At that point Fluckes allegedly started hugging the victim and told him thank you but that she knew he had more money. The victim told authorities that during this interchange Fluckes went into his pocket without his knowledge and removed $40. The victim added that after exiting the train he checked his pockets and noticed that the money was missing.

Fluckes allegedly told authorities that the victim invited her to his home to spend the night and have something to eat. She also said that at no point did she ever take the $40.

After a patdown of Fluckes, police failed to find the missing $40. Fluckes was then arrested and placed in the squad car. While in the car, she was observed making constant motions toward her waistband trying to push something down.

An officer then asked Fluckes to exit the vehicle so that he could perform another search to which she refused. She was given several more commands to exit. Fluckes responded by allegedly telling the officer that she knew her rights and that he could not go into her pants to search for anything. The officer then gave several more verbal commands and told Fluckes that she would be stunned with a taser if she did not comply. After several more chances the officer reportedly applied the “drive stun technique” to Fluckes’ right rib area. Fluckes slid to the right side of the vehicle and still refused to exit. Finally officers managed to get Fluckes out of the vehicle and were able to conduct a search where they found a $20 bill in the waistband of her pants.

While being transported to the station, police said Fluckes was constantly shifting around in the back seat and moving up and down. After arriving at the station, the policemen checked the back seat and found a glass pipe with a copper wool filter, identified as a “crack pipe.”

Fluckes was arrested for theft, possession of drug paraphernalia and attempting to obstruct a police officer.


A gas station employee was arrested for battery after allegedly hitting a juvenile in the head. The incident occurred at a gas station, located at 7528 Madison St. on July 16 at 11:31 p.m.

The juvenile entered the gas station to purchase some items when Sung S. Kim, the gas station attendant, allegedly became irritated with the victim. At that point the victim told authorities that Kim slapped him on the top of the head with an open hand.

When speaking with authorities, Kim told them that the victim and his four friends repeatedly enter the store and always cause a disturbance. Kim repeatedly told the juveniles to exit his store, to which they responded by becoming belligerent and refusing to leave. Kim then allegedly admitted to slapping the victim on top of the head so that he would get the point and leave.

The victim’s parents arrived and the mother of the child signed battery complaints against Kim. Meanwhile a background check of the boy’s father showed an active warrant for his arrest in McHenry County. Terrell D. Dix and Kim were both arrested and taken to the station to be processed.

• These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between July 7 and July 17 and represents a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

“compiled by Povilas Zukauskas