A Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) at the Pavillion nursing home, 8200 Roosevelt Rd., told police that she was assaulted when visiting a patient on March 29.

According to the CNA, she responded to a call from the patient’s room, and was met by a friend of the patient named Phil, who began cursing at her. She tried to ignore the man, but he reached out and pulled her hair, and then punched her in her left eye.

The CNA refused medical assistance. Officer Jason Keeling searched for Phil, but was unable to locate him. The receptionist in the lobby did not see him leave, and his signature in the guestbook was not legible, according to a report on file with the Forest Park Police Department.

Underage drinker knocks down traffic light

After receiving a call March 25 reporting a traffic accident, police found a 1988 Ford Mustang stopped on a parkway on the 200 block of Elgin Avenue facing southwest. The call was received at about 1 a.m. The rear passenger side of the car was next to a street light that was knocked to the ground.

When Officer Michael Harrison spoke to the driver, Daniel Rynne, 19, of Oak Park, Rynne claimed that he had been driving northbound on Elgin when the car slipped on a wet patch of ice. When Harrison pointed out that the road was neither wet nor icy, Rynne said that he had just learned to drive with a manual transmission.

Harrison smelled alcohol on the minor’s breath, and Rynne told him that he had one beer. He was placed under arrest for driving under the influence, driving without insurance, damage to public property and driving too fast for conditions.

He refused medical treatment for injuries endured in the accident. The car was towed due to the damage it had sustained.

Cocaine arrest outside Wal-Mart

While on routine patrol on March 30 around 4 p.m., Officer Scott McLintock saw a white SUV with heavy front end damage in the Wal-Mart parking lot at 1300 Desplaines Ave.

The male driver of the SUV pulled up to the entrance of the store and exited the car. McLintock then observed that the passenger, later identified as Amanda Hicks, 19, of Roselle, seemed fidgety, climbing back and forth from the front to the back seat and continually touching her head and arms.

When he got closer, he saw through the SUV’s open windows that her arms were bruised and scratched and her hands were covered in scabs, furthering his suspicions that she was an addict.

He spotted the remnants of a copper scrubbing material commonly used for filters for crack pipes, and two Ziploc bags often used to package drugs on the floor. After Hicks was asked to step out of the car, he found a glass pipe and another baggie with a rock like substance, which later tested positive for cocaine.

Hicks admitted she had a drug problem but denied ownership of the material found in the SUV. Police found that she had a warrant from the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, and she was charged with a felony count of possession of a controlled substance.

Retail theft at Walgreens

A clerk at Walgreens, 7200 Roosevelt Rd., saw Melanie Rubin, 30, take a home drug test kit to the store’s checkout counter but leave without making a transaction on March 29.

The clerk soon found out that Rubin had tried to return the kit for a cash refund, but left when a cashier refused the return.

Police departments in surrounding areas were given descriptions of Rubin and her car, and the car was soon located by North Riverside police, unoccupied in the parking lot of the Sears store at the North Riverside Mall.

Rubin was found inside Sears and taken outside by police, where the Walgreens clerk identified her. She told police she took the drug test kit so that she could test her boyfriend for drugs.

Rubin was charged with a felony count of retail theft because of a previous conviction for burglary last November.

Change stolen from CTA collection boxes

A driver who was awaiting the arrival of employees at the construction site at 7700 Van Buren St. early on the morning of March 29 saw a man attempt to pry open several collection boxes at the CTA parking lot.

According to the driver, the man failed to open three boxes but succeeded on his fourth try. He dropped his pry bar and picked up the coins that had fallen to the ground, and then headed toward the train station.

Officer Ken Gross and Lt. Steve Weiler found the man at the station, and the driver was able to positively identify him.

At the police station, police found just under $24 in change in his pockets. CTA officials were informed of the situation and came to the station to sign complaints.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between March 25 and 31 and represent only a small portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

Compiled by Seth Stern