A man identifying himself as a federal authority was arrested at a bar late Wednesday evening after a pickup line back fired on him.

Sean R. Peirick, 32, of Willowbrook, Ill., asked that police be called to Doc Ryan’s Tavern on Madison Street to arrest another patron allegedly claiming to be an armed off-duty cop. Peirick himself twice called 911 while police were en route and identified himself as a commercial airline pilot with the Transportation and Safety Administration (TSA).

When police arrived at the bar around 11 p.m., Peirick showed “all the classic signs of alcohol intoxication,” and demanded the alleged off-duty cop be arrested. According to a police report, two women at the bar were first approached by Peirick, who told them he was a car salesman whose friend was killed in the 9-11 attacks. He then changed his story with the women and said he was a commercial airline pilot authorized to carry a gun, and had just finished work.

Shortly after the conversation ended, another man started talking to the same two women, according to the report. Peirick allegedly grabbed the man by the arm and tried to twist it behind his back, again claiming to be a fed. He then told the doorman at Doc Ryan’s that he had been threatened by an armed off-duty cop.

“Both women said Peirick was an overbearing jerk,” who tried to intimidate the other man who approached them.

According to the police report, officers did find several identification cards in Peirick’s wallet naming him as a “ground instructor” for the TSA. After being arrested for falsifying a police report, battery and obstruction, Peirick was placed in a holding cell at the station where he “continued to act belligerently and urinated on the floor of the detention cell,” police said in their report.

When told to exit the cell for booking, Peirick slipped and fell in the puddle of urine, police said. Peirick is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 19.

Absent clerk cited for drugs

A convenience store clerk left customers standing at the counter this month when he stepped outside for a drink, ultimately winding up with a citation for public intoxication and a felony drug charge.

Shortly after 5 p.m. on Nov. 5, police were called to the White Hen at 7660 Madison St. after customers there phoned in that the store had apparently been abandoned. After officers searched the store for any signs of the clerk, the employee wandered back to the store at 5:40 p.m.

James Slaughter, 44, of Monroe Avenue, told officers he thought he had locked the door prior to taking a walk. While on his jaunt, Slaughter told officers he brought a pint of vodka with him.

A regional manager for the White Hen closed the store and Slaughter was arrested for public intoxication.

While at the police station, officers did a custodial search of the suspect and discovered a small bag of crack cocaine. The drug weighed less than 1 gram.

Slaughter was scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 21.

Gang graffiti found downtown

Eight gang tags believed to have been spray painted by members of the Latin Angels street gang were discovered in Forest Park earlier this month.

According to police records, officers found the graffiti markings on Nov. 12 painted mostly on the backside of downtown businesses. Two tags were discovered in the 7400 block of Warren Street; one in the 7400 block of Washington Street; another in the 300 block of Circle Avenue; and four along the 7300 and 7400 blocks of Madison Street.

According to police reports, it is not clear when the graffiti may have been left, however, one report suggests the tag on Washington Street was left between 2 p.m. on Nov. 11 and 9 a.m. on Nov. 12.

Wal-Mart catches employees’ thefts

Two female employees of Wal-Mart were charged with theft after supervisors there discovered an alleged scheme using the store’s surveillance cameras.

According to a police report, Sharmaine A. Sykes and Laquisha C. Ellis, both of Chicago, pretended to sell each other inexpensive items with large bills in an effort to rip off the store for cash. On Oct. 29, Ellis allegedly tendered $1 for two bottles of Pepsi totaling $2.56. Sykes, 22, rang up the sale as though Ellis had given her $101.18, according to police. Ellis’ age was redacted from the department report.

On Nov. 5, the same ruse was followed to bilk $98.61 from the register. Sykes charged Ellis $1.39 for a bottle of Pepsi, for which Ellis handed over $1.

An assistant manager at the store reported the incidents to police after observing the alleged thefts on video surveillance. Both women are scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 19.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between November 4 and November 17, 2006, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Josh Adams