A traffic accident on Harlem Avenue revealed a bizarre set of circumstances that left one man dead and sent a pregnant woman to the hospital with contractions.

Just before 9 p.m. on April 2, 31-year-old Raimonds Kirjanovs rear-ended an SUV in the south bound lane of the 500 block with his van. Police arrived at the scene to find the driver of the SUV, an unidentified Chicago woman who was eight months pregnant, experiencing contractions. Meanwhile, in Kirjanovs’ van a 30-year-old man lay dead from an apparent drug overdose.

Janis Anskaitis, of Chicago, was cold to the touch, unresponsive and blue in the face, according to a police report on the incident. Kirjanovs explained the two had been “partying all weekend” with a combination of alcohol and ecstasy.

“(Kirjanovs) stated Anskaitis had been sleeping for approximately 20 to 30 minutes and was snoring,” police said in their report.

Anskaitis was also a regular heroin user, according to statements in the report.

He was pronounced dead at RUSH Oak Park Hospital at 9:32 p.m., according to the report.

The pregnant woman, 26, was transported to Loyola hospital from the scene and later taken to Swedish Covenant. An update on her condition was not available.

The driver of the van, Kirjanovs, was arrested for driving under the influence and faces additional charges related to the accident. While in custody, at RUSH hospital, medical staff observed Kirjanovs’ heart rate remained elevated. Blood and urine samples were collected and the suspect tested positive for cocaine, opiates and alcohol. His blood-alcohol content was .117, according to police.

Anskaitis’ death remains under investigation.

Former dispatcher charged

A former dispatcher for the Lincolnwood Police Department was arrested on a felony charge this month for allegedly impersonating a police officer.

Arturo Bedolla, 31, of Berwyn was stopped for speeding on April 3 when police clocked him traveling at 68 mph along Roosevelt Road, according to a department report. The posted speed limit is 35 mph. Asked for his driver’s license and proof of insurance, Bedolla offered up an embroidered T-shirt from the Lincolnwood department as proof of his employment as an officer. Police also noticed a set of handcuffs in the center console of Bedolla’s Nissan Maxima.

Bedolla was unable to produce a badge or any police identification, and claimed that he was on his way to visit his brother in the hospital and left the items at home. Forest Park dispatchers contacted the Lincolnwood department, which informed local authorities that Bedolla is not employed as a full-time officer, as claimed.

Once in custody, Bedolla allegedly confessed that he worked as a dispatcher for that department some four years ago. Those statements were confirmed by a follow up phone call to the department, according to police. In addition to the felony charge, Bedolla was cited for speeding, driving on a suspended license and lack of insurance.

Taggers caught red handed

Three 17 year olds looking to make a name for themselves as graffiti taggers were arrested on related charges this month after authorities allegedly caught them walking away from their latest work.

John A. Pagan, of Chicago, Giovanni F. Olvera and Nicholas Nataras, both of Cicero were apprehended shortly before 10 p.m. on April 6. According to a police report, the three were about to drive away from the Roosevelt Paper Company on Industrial Drive when officers caught up to them. Matching the black paint on their hands were the still-wet taggings of several nicknames, which the teens allegedly confessed to spraying on the building.

Marijuana arrests

Between April 2 and April 7, Forest Park police arrested a number of suspects on drug possession charges.

Sean A. Chipps, 36, of Burnham, Ill., was cited for an ordinance violation after authorities allegedly caught him with a blunt.

Anthony M. Brizio, 20, of Lombard was also cited for an ordinance violation when police found two marijuana joints in his possession, according to a department report.

James S. Blackman, 29, of Chicago, was charged with felony possession after authorities allegedly found 52 grams of marijuana in a backpack. Two individuals traveling with Blackman at the time of his arrest were not charged.

Brandon L. Green, 25, of River Forest, was also charged with marijuana possession after authorities allegedly caught him with a small amount of the drug.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between April 2 and April 7, 2007 and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Thea McLain