A 22-year-old man facing attempted murder charges in connection with a triple stabbing in March was convicted on weapons charges several years ago, and at one point had been linked to another attempted murder.

According to court records, Randall Bean pled guilty in 2003 to a single count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. Bean was sentenced to a year in prison for the incident involving a .22 caliber gun.

During the investigation conducted by the Maywood Police Department, authorities linked Bean to a separate incident and charged him with attempted first-degree murder, and home invasion. Those charges were later dropped after a Cook County judge ruled that witness identifications were inadmissible, according to state’s attorney spokesperson Andy Conklin.

“It looks like the judge threw out the arrest,” Conklin said upon reviewing Bean’s case.

Bean was indicted on 11 felony charges, including three counts of attempted murder, for allegedly stabbing two women and a toddler on March 26 in Forest Park. Also pending are a single count of home invasion and seven counts of aggravated battery. An indictment is not an indication of guilt, rather that a grand jury has found sufficient evidence to warrant a trial.

According to police, Bean used a butcher knife to stab a 50-year-old woman in the neck after chasing the woman from her apartment at 1218 Circle Ave. He then fled through an alley on foot and assaulted a 26-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son in the 1200 block of Marengo Avenue, authorities allege.

Police have not uncovered a motive for the attacks.

At a recent court appearance at the Maybrook courthouse in Maywood, a public defender assigned to Bean’s case asked for a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether Bean is competent to stand trial.

The alleged stabbing is not the first encounter Forest Park police have had with Bean.

On Jan. 2 Bean was arrested at the same Circle Avenue address on charges of resisting a police officer and obstruction. Bean identified himself to police as Randy Williams, but investigators believed Bean was the target of a warrant from the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, which had been issued for a Ricky T. Williams.

After resisting officers’ attempts to handcuff him, Bean was stunned twice with a Taser. The nature of the outstanding warrant was not immediately known.

Once in custody and his real identity revealed through fingerprints, Bean allegedly told Forest Park police he lied about his name because he was on parole.

For the aggravated weapons charge in 2003, Bean was sentenced to one year in prison. While in custody in 2004, Bean was convicted of drug possession charges and received another two-year sentence. According to an Illinois Department of Corrections spokesperson, Bean was released on parole in December of 2004. His parole expired in late November of 2005, however, he was arrested in October of that year on another drug possession charge. He began serving a prison sentence for that conviction on Dec. 19, 2005, before being paroled on Feb. 21, 2006.

A Maybrook courthouse official said the charges pending from the January arrest in Forest Park are still pending, however, the case has been delayed several times.