For Kevin Loftus, all it took was a handful of bean sprouts to allegedly send him into a tirade during which he launched a sandwich at a woman’s head.

On May 31 the 35-year-old Forest Park resident picked up an order for three sandwiches at Jimmy John’s on Circle Avenue shortly after 7 p.m. According to a police report, Loftus returned some 30 minutes later, shouted “bean sprouts” and threw one of the sandwiches across the counter, striking a female employee in the head. Because Loftus had phoned his order in to the sandwich maker, employees there were able to provide police with a name and phone number.

Police arrived at the man’s house and explained to his wife why there were looking for him. Loftus was not home at the time. At about 10 p.m. Loftus turned himself into police and he was charged with disorderly conduct, according to the report. During an interview with authorities he was apologetic and said he simply lost his temper after specifically asking for a sandwich with no sprouts.

Outburst draws neighbors

A 22-year-old man on the verge of stealing his girlfriend’s car was arrested for disorderly conduct after loudly arguing with officers while standing in the middle of the street at 12:45 a.m.

According to a police report, authorities were called to 936 Thomas Ave. on May 26 for a report of a vehicle being taken without the owner’s consent. Upon arriving, police allegedly found Marcus Pigram of Forest Park sitting in his girlfriend’s idling Pontiac. Though he agreed to turn the car off and get out of the vehicle, Pigram refused to turn the key over and started yelling at police.

“I advised Pigram to keep his voice down due to the late hour and he instead got louder and louder,” police said in their report. “Finally, when I noticed neighbors exiting surrounding houses to observe, I advised Pigram that he was disturbing the neighbors and provoking a breach of the peace.”

In response, the suspect only raised his voice again and was subsequently arrested.

Drug use prompts vandalism

A Joliet man allegedly strung out on crack cocaine is accused of vandalizing several cars in the parking lot of the Living Word Christian Center on Roosevelt Road where he was supposedly searching for a gas can.

At about 10 p.m. on May 30, David Chirafisi, 44, was seen walking around the lot with a hammer as police were investigating a possible burglary to another vehicle. Police described Chirafisi as barefoot, profusely sweating and unable to stand still. He allegedly told police that people were chasing him and that he needed gas.

Once in custody the suspect allegedly confessed to smoking crack earlier in the day. He blamed his erratic behavior on the drug, according to police.

DUI suspect flees accident

A man accused of driving while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident may have given authorities an unfair advantage in tracking him down. After allegedly smashing his car into an equipment trailer, 30-year-old Hector Sanchez sped away, leaving his license plate at the scene of the accident, according to police.

At about 4 p.m. on May 25, police received a call reporting the accident and the license plate number from the registration left at the scene. A short while later police were called again when a vehicle matching the description of Sanchez’s was found near a carwash on Roosevelt Road. According to police, Sanchez was sitting in the driver’s seat, asleep, with vomit on himself and the interior of the car.

Sanchez said he was in the vehicle when the accident occurred, but was not the driver.

“The guy who was driving works over at that one cemetery by that one place and he hit that guy on the trailer, it wasn’t me,” Sanchez allegedly told police.

A breathalyzer exam allegedly revealed a blood-alcohol level of .117. The legal limit in Illinois is .08.

Threat of Taser subdues suspect

A Chicago woman charged with kicking an officer in the groin with her stiletto heels calmed down some after the arresting officer threatened to stun her with a Taser.

Shortly before midnight on May 24, police were called to 7647 Jackson Blvd. for a report of property damage when they discovered the suspect driving south along Desplaines Avenue. After boxing the vehicle in, Colleen Marie Issa, 46, allegedly ignored commands to get out of the vehicle and instead was chatting on her cell phone. Police opened the car door and Issa allegedly began using her four-inch heels to fend off the arresting officer. After landing a few kicks to his left leg and groin area, Issa was ordered to stop immediately or she would be stunned with the Taser.

After a brief moment of compliance, Issa allegedly began swinging her arms wildly to avoid being handcuffed, and was again warned that the Taser was still an option. The woman was charged with property damage for allegedly breaking the windows of a second-floor apartment, resisting arrest and battery to a police officer.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between May 24 and June 1, 2007 and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Josh Adams