On the night of April 29, the driver and one of the two passengers in a vehicle that was curbed for a seatbelt violation near the intersection of Marengo Avenue and Jackson Boulevard were arrested. At police headquarters, though, one of the arrestees reportedly dropped to the floor and began convulsing as if having a seizure.

According to police, Marrisa Vaughns, 31, of Maywood, was unable to produce a driver’s license after she was pulled over; and, the responding officer reported smelling marijuana shortly after making contact with Vaughn, 26-year-old Arraon Anderson, also of Maywood, and the other passenger.

At this time, all of the individuals were asked to exit the vehicle and a search of the car yielded the presence of a partially smoked cigar with marijuana in it – commonly referred to as a “blunt.”

During a roadside interview Anderson abruptly fled on foot. He was ultimately caught and taken into custody. Moreover, a computer check of Anderson revealed that he had two warrants out for his arrest – one from Will County and one from Cook County.

Vaughns was arrested when she reportedly attempted to give police a false name, and apparently experienced what appeared to be a seizure while she was being escorted to a holding cell. She was subsequently taken to Oak Park Hospital.

During processing, Anderson volunteered Vaughns’ name, which was later verified; and, a background check informed authorities of a DuPage County arrest warrant that Vaughns has for a driving with a suspended license charge.

Anderson was charged with possession of cannabis, resisting arrest and for the two active warrants for his arrest. Vaughns was charged with the in-state warrant.

Armed robbery

Police responded to a hold up alarm at Thornton’s gas station on the night of April 30.

The cashier working at the time informed police that a man had come into the store, purchased a pack of gum and then demanded money from the register, informing the cashier that he had a gun.

The robber was obliged but took it upon himself to expedite the process by jumping on the counter and clearing all of the cash out of the register. What’s more, the robber never produced the gun he claimed was in his possession.

Police have a copy of the surveillance video that captured the incident.

DUI, possession

Police pulled over Corey Hawkins, a 24-year-old Maywood resident, on April 26 on the 900 block of S. Marango for not having a front license plate attached to his vehicle.

After he made contact with Hawkins, the officer alleged Hawkins was sweating and acting nervously. Hawkins was asked out of the vehicle after he could not produce a driver’s license nor could he provide documentation verifying his claim that the car was rented.

A search of Hawkins reportedly yielded $1,378 in cash in a bag with one gram of heroin on his person. He was arrested and charged with possessing a controlled substance, driving with no driver’s license on his person, and driving with no registration.

A Maywood man with a reported blood-alcohol-content level of .184 was arrested and charged with a DUI on the night of April 26.

Police stopped 24-year-old Marvin Matthews in the 600 block of W. Roosevelt Rd. in Maywood after his vehicle was observing swerving several times into neighboring lanes.

When an officer approached Matthews’s car he was unable to offer a driver’s license and proof of insurance for his vehicle. In addition, the officer claimed he smelled alcohol on Matthews, at which point he was asked out of the car and a field sobriety test was performed.

Matthews reportedly failed the test and was transported to police headquarters where a breathalyzer test was administered and he was processed.

In addition to the DUI, Matthews was charged with driving without lights, improper lane usage, driving with no drivers license on his person and operating an uninsured motor vehicle.

Car door taken

Thieves stripped a car of its entire driver side door at some point between noon on April 25 and the morning of April 26. The car was parked in the 7200 block of Adams St. Other than the door, nothing else was taken from the car.

Domestic disturbances

Myron Mack, 44, of Forest Park, attempted to illegally confront his wife at her home on the afternoon of April 30. Mack’s wife has an order of protection against him, and she alleged seeing him emerge from the bushes in front of her residence as she was entering the house.

She immediately ran towards the street and flagged down a Forest Park police officer who sent out an advisory dispatch for the apprehension of Mack, who had fled the scene.

Mack was ultimately caught on foot near the intersection of Madison St. and Circle Ave. He was arrested and charged with violating an order of protection.

Police charged 47-year-old Forest Park resident Michael A. Neal with assault after he reportedly threatened to slap a female companion on May 2 at 8 p.m.

Police responded to a disturbance call placed by the woman involved in the argument with Neal at a Forest Park home. The woman informed the officer of Neal’s aforementioned threat, at which point Neal, reportedly intoxicated, continued to berate the woman and refused to cooperate with the officer that was attempting to assess the situation.

The officer made several attempts to communicate with Neal, although each time Neal turned and began walking while stating, “I ain’t resisting.”

After this occurred several times, the officer arrested Neal. He was taken to the station and charged with resisting arrest and simple assault.

Running from the law

A Chicago man chased down on foot and tasered by police reportedly provided officers with a false name in an attempt to conceal an active Cook County Sheriff’s Police Department arrest warrant.

After two officers spotted 25-year-old Deandre Minor allegedly smoking marijuana in front of a building on the 7700 block of Roosevelt Rd. at 8:30 p.m. on Apr. 30, they attempted to speak with him, at which point he refused their request and began running.

Police were eventually able to catch up with Minor, after a Taser was utilized to halt the fleeing suspect, and recover two dime-size bags of marijuana. While in custody Minor reportedly gave police the false name; however, a fingerprint inquiry revealed Minor’s identity. Police learned he had no-bond arrest warrant for failing to appear in court for a larceny charge. Minor was charged for the in-state warrant, with a cannabis control offense, reckless conduct and resisting arrest.

Throw me out, will you?

After an unruly patron of Tonik bar, 7247 Roosevelt Rd., was ejected from the bar for instigating a fight with another customer, she reportedly took her aggression out on a bouncer and the rear passenger’s door of a police cruiser.

Police observed 26-year-old Latasha Batie of Chicago berating a Tonik bouncer who removed her from the bar and prevented her from re-entering at approximately 2 a.m. on May 1.

When the responding officer intervened to assess the situation, he asked for Batie’s identification. She allegedly refused to comply on several occasions. After Batie’s arrest, she refused to fully enter the car. Police report they were forced to use a Taser to force Batie into compliance.

Batie’s tirade did not cease, though. Next, she reportedly kicked out the rear passenger’s side window of the police car.

At this point, she was taken to another officer’s vehicle, where she again allegedly refused to completely enter the car; and, once again, police used a Taser to get her to comply. When Batie was finally transported to police headquarters she was booked and charged with battery, resisting arrest and criminal damage to state property. She received a felony for the latter charge.

‘Just arrest me’

Ivory Hudson, 48, of Chicago, was arrested on the night of May 1, after a CTA employee at the Desplaines Avenue Blue Line stop called police to report Hudson’s unruly behavior.

When an officer arrived at the station, Hudson walked outside the terminal and allegedly screamed obscenities that made little sense. According to the CTA employee, who approached the officer to explain the situation, Hudson, purportedly intoxicated, had allegedly threatened physical harm – a claim that was reportedly validated when Hudson issued the employee the same threats while in the presence of the officer.

At one point Hudson said, “Please, just arrest me.” He was obliged and subsequently charged with criminal trespass to land, disorderly conduct and aggravated assault.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between April 26 and May 2, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Nicholas Moroni

Tip hotline

Anyone with information regarding the cases mentioned in this report, or on another matter, is encouraged to contact the Forest Park police department’s hotline at 708-615-6239. Information may be left anonymously.