Forest Park authorities arrested a 45-year-old man from Chicago for the third time in less than a month for his continual refusal to register himself as a sex offender.

On the night of July 16, the officer that made the two preceding arrests observed Kevin Mabry sitting on a bench consuming beer on Harlem Avenue near South Boulevard. A computer check informed the officer that Mabry still had not registered as a sex offender.

When two officers approached Mabry to ask about the status of his registration, he claimed he was unaware that he had to do so, and said he “was given a new court date.”

He was subsequently arrested and received a felony for failing to register as a sex offender.

At the time of his arrest, Mabry, who is purportedly homeless, and is often spotted around Forest Park, had just been released from Dixon Correctional Center for a conviction that is not yet known.

The Illinois State Police’s sex offender database reveals that Mabry’s past offenses include more than three incidents in which he was convicted of public indecency and/or public exposure. A specific number of convictions for sex offenses was not provided, though, and representatives from the Illinois Dept. of Corrections and the state police could not be reached for that information.

According to Deputy Chief of Police Tom Aftanas, Mabry’s rap sheet dates back to 1983. He has been convicted of crimes in Illinois 10 times since then. Aftanas too was unable to locate the specifics of the convictions by deadline, although promised to pass on details.

The deputy did state, however, that Mabry likes to publicly masturbate.

In 2007, the Forest Park Review reported an incident in which Mabry was arrested for blatantly masturbating on the sidewalk on Harlem Avenue. According to the report, Mabry informed police that he was overcome by an urge that he could not suppress.

“This guy seems to do this quite often,” Aftanas said, as he also referenced a September 2009 incident in which Mabry was arrested for indecency and exposing himself.

Retail theft

A 44-year-old Chicago man was arrested after attempting to steal $151.37 worth of stick deodorant and batteries from K-Mart, 7630 Roosevelt Rd.

On the eve of July 12, K-Mart security apprehended James Hunter after one agent reported seeing him and another suspect place 35 sticks of deodorant and three packs of batteries into a black briefcase and then attempt to leave the store without paying.

As both Hunter and the other individual attempted to leave they were stopped at the door by store security, at which point the unnamed suspect fled on foot and was never apprehended.

Police were called to the scene and Hunter was arrested and taken to headquarters. At the station, a white plastic straw containing a white powdery substance was found on Hunter. Authorities believe it was drug paraphernalia, although there is no report of any chemical test being done on the powder to confirm narcotic elements.

Hunter was charged with felony retail theft, possession of drug equipment and obstructing an officer. The latter charge was the result of a reported struggle between a noncompliant Hunter and an officer that was attempting to perform a search of Hunter at police headquarters.

Police responding to a retail-theft dispatch-call stopped 22-year-old Chicago resident, Tony Foreman, in the parking lot of a CVS drug store on the afternoon of July 14.

The responding officer reported that Foreman fit the description of a man who entered the store at 7216 Circle Ave. and attempted to swipe four 20-count packages of Duracell batteries and six magazines, with a total value of $75.90.

A store representative informed police that Foreman walked into the store, grabbed an Arizona Iced Tea, and then made his way to the magazine and battery sections, respectively. He then placed the abovementioned quantities of batteries and magazines into a black bag and went to the cash register in an attempt to exclusively pay for the beverage that he grabbed.

In the parking lot, Foreman was arrested for retail theft.

A Maywood juvenile was arrested and charged with retail theft after attempting to steal $32.24 worth of cosmetics from the 1300 DesPlaines Ave. Wal-Mart on the afternoon of July 14.

Heroin found in some unusual places

After curbing a vehicle on the 7200 block of Roosevelt Road for traffic violations, an officer discovered the presence of heroin inside the vehicle and, later, near the vicinity of the passenger’s rectum.

When 29-year-old Custer resident Lisa Chrichton’s vehicle was pulled over on July 14, an officer reporting seeing – in plain sight, in the center console – a transparent red plastic bag that contained a foil packet.

Chrichton and passenger James Davis, 33, of Herscher, were ordered out of the vehicle and after the bag was seized, a powdery substance that resembled heroin was found inside. A syringe was also found in the passenger door compartment.

Davis acknowledged the contents to be heroin and claimed the packet was his, according to the report. When an officer went to search Davis, after it was announced that he would be taken into custody, Davis admitted to harboring an additional package “by” his rectum. He then reached down his pants and recovered that bag.

Davis was taken into custody and charged with possession of a controlled substance and with possession of drug paraphernalia.

Chrichton was not arrested; but, rather, received a citation for not wearing her seatbelt.

In-state warrants

On the eve of July 17, Jacob R. Woods, 22, of Aurora was arrested when it was discovered that he had an active arrest warrant.

Woods’ vehicle was curbed on 1st Avenue near the Interstate-290 intersection, after an officer spotted him driving with his seatbelt off. When the officer approached the vehicle, Woods was allegedly trembling and appeared nervous; moreover, Woods initially gave the officer a false name.

It was eventually revealed that Woods was driving on a suspended license, and that the Aurora Police Dept. had issued an arrest warrant after Woods failed to appear at a hearing pertaining to a criminal damage to property charge. He was subsequently arrested, but only charged with having the warrant.

Thirty-one-year-old Omar Graham, of Broadview, was arrested July 17 when an officer ran his vehicle registration after observing Graham’s vehicle had a cracked windshield. The information summoned through the computer informed the officer that Graham had an active arrest warrant out of DuPage County for driving with a suspended license. The car was subsequently stopped at 711 DesPlaines Avenue and Graham was arrested and charged with having the in-state warrant.

A 42-year-old Chicago man with a history of theft was arrested after allegedly stealing several items valued at $11.78 from CVS Pharmacy on July 17. Store personnel contacted police and provided a description of the suspect; and soon thereafter, police spotted Dvorak Worthy, standing on the corner of 1 S. Harlem Avenue. After contact was made with Worthy, the stolen items were found on his person and he was taken into custody and charged with felony retail theft due to a 2006 conviction he received for the same offense.

Robert Jones, 48, of Chicago was arrested after it was discovered that the Chicago Police Dept. had issued a warrant for his arrest due to a domestic battery charge. Jones’ vehicle was spotted on the 100 block of Harlem Avenue on the eve of July 17, and when a patrolling officer ran his registration, it came back as expired. The computer inquiry also revealed the active warrant. Jones was pulled over in a nearby parking lot, where he was arrested and charged with having the in-state warrant.

Obstructing a peace officer

Wesley Albury, 46, of Forest Park, was arrested at a DesPlaines Avenue residence on the morning of July 17 for interfering with a police investigation pertaining to a child custody visitation case. The father of the child inside the residence informed police that the child’s mother, who was also inside the DesPlaines Avenue home, had failed to comply with a court-ordered visitation drop-off that morning, and when police attempted to communicate with her, Albury began acting belligerently in an attempt to ward off any contact. After some time and persistent warnings to not interfere, Albury was finally taken into custody and charged with obstructing a peace officer.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between July 11 and July 18, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Nicholas Moroni