Police arrested a reportedly drug-hazed, knife-toting Chicago man after receiving a call for help from a local 7-11 clerk on the eve of Nov. 6. What’s more, after being released, the man asked police to arrest him again.

Authorities reported that a friend of 54-year-old Arcell Woods ran into the 205 Harlem store and asked the clerk to call the police because Woods had a knife and had taken “bad drugs.”

When the officers arrived, they seized a knife from Woods, but Woods reportedly refused to submit to commands to fall to the ground. Subsequently, two officers pushed Woods down, although he continued to struggle.

Even with the assistance of a third officer, Woods’s resistance reportedly persisted. He flailed his hands “violently” and would not place them behind his back, so an officer struck him twice, on the back and on the head.

The officers reportedly feared that Woods might have had more weapons, although none were found.

Deputy Chief Tom Aftanas said the officers probably hit Woods “to get his hands behind his back.”

Woods allegedly asked his friend to meet him earlier in the evening, and upon their rendezvous, Woods claimed that he had taken “bad drugs” and that “people were out to get [him].”

What’s more, the two flagged a ride to 7-11, and when they arrived, Woods displayed the knife to the driver, who reportedly fled the scene.

“It sounds like this guy was definitely under the influence of something,” Aftanas said, in reference to Woods.

Woods was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, and two counts of resisting arrest.

When Woods was released he told officers that he preferred to be arrested again, if a squad car would not take him home; so he was obliged, and issued a ticket for disorderly conduct.

At the station, Woods managed to locate a relative who eventually picked him up.  


DUI suspect faces slew of charges

A Maywood man was taken into custody for DUI and several other offenses after being pulled over on Madison and River on the night of Nov. 1.

Thirty-seven-year-old Eddie Peterson was initially curbed for traffic violations; however, before his roadside encounter with the police was over, he was slapped with a number of other charges.

A registration check confirmed that Peterson’s license was suspended, and because he reportedly appeared intoxicated, he was asked to perform field sobriety tests, all of which he failed. Peterson was arrested, and when his car was searched police found a bottle of vodka and an unspecified quantity of marijuana.

At headquarters he submitted to a Breathalyzer, and his blood alcohol content registered at .149, in excess of the state’s legal limit of .08.

Peterson’s charges include DUI, a cannabis control offense, transportation of alcohol, operating an uninsured motor vehicle, driving with a suspended license, operating a motor vehicle with suspended registration, speeding, and improper lane usage.


Man charged with DUI

On the night of Nov. 5, police arrested a Darien man, who was involved in a two-car accident on the 7200 block of Roosevelt and was allegedly drinking and driving.

When police smelled alcohol on the breath of 37-year-old Ramon Jones, who was involved in the crash, he was asked to submit to a series of field sobriety tests.

Jones failed all of the tests, and he was arrested and charged with DUI, operating an uninsured motor vehicle and other moving violations. He was not charged with being responsible for the crash, though.


Thief swipes hundreds in cologne

Two Chicago men were arrested for their alleged involvement in the theft of several hundred dollars worth of cologne from a local drug store, on the afternoon of Nov. 3.

Ollie Sharkey, 49, and Raymond Garvin, 56, went to CVS, 7216 Circle, on the abovementioned date, and while Sharkey stood “lookout,” Garvin allegedly pried open a display case and stuffed $233.95 worth of cologne in his pockets.

The two men were observed by security, however, and were apprehended until police arrived, at which point they were arrested.

At the station, it was determined that Sharkey did not have prior knowledge of Garvin’s intent to steal the items, so Sharkey was released without charges.

Garvin, on the other hand, was charged with felony retail theft and with one misdemeanor count of criminal damage to property. 

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between Oct. 31 and Nov. 7, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

– Compiled by Nick Moroni