Two Chicago men driving around with heroin and hundreds of dollars in cash tried to escape police custody on the eve of Jan. 13 after the car they were in was initially pursued when the driver committed a traffic violation.

When 24-year-old Tirnell Anderson illegally used the parking lot of the 601 Harlem Thornton’s gas station as a roundabout, a patrolling officer got behind Anderson’s car and tried to make a traffic stop.

The officer activated his emergency lights, but Anderson did not stop. He ended up leading the officer on a high-speed chase down Harlem Avenue.

As he weaved and maneuvered up and down Harlem, an officer reported seeing Anderson toss a bag containing a “rock-like substance” out of the window.

Anderson and passenger Mariel Macon, 27, were eventually apprehended on Harlem and Washington when traffic at the stop light preventing Anderson from continuing on.

The aforementioned bag was recovered nearby and later tests confirmed it contained 22 grams of heroin.

When police performed searches of Anderson and Macon they found, on them, $647 and $550, respectively. Both sums were in cash.

Anderson and Macon were transported to headquarters where they were processed on a number of charges.

Anderson charges include: manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance with the intent to deliver 30 grams or less, driving with a suspended or revoked license, reckless driving, traffic signal violations, speeding, improper backing, improper turn at an intersection, failure to signal, possession of 30 grams or less, and attempting to flee and elude a police officer.

Macon also received the manufacture and possession charges, in addition to a single count of obstructing justice.

Instate warrant

Mats Fortenberry, 22, of Carbondale, was arrested on the afternoon of Jan. 12 when police learned he had an instate warrant.

Fortenberry’s car was first stopped on the 300 block of Harlem because his registration was expired, however, the officer entered his name in a police computer and discovered an instate warrant.

He was wanted out of Jackson County for failing to appear at a hearing related to a charge of driving with a suspended license.

Foretenberry was charged with the instate warrant.

A Chicago man was arrested early Jan. 13 when police discovered he had an instate warrant.

Twenty-five-year-old Shelton Lewis Tomlinson, was taken into custody when a computer search of Tomlinson’s name revealed a warrant from the DuPage County Sherriff’s Office.

The warrant was issued for Tomlinson’s failure to appear at a hearing stemming from a charge of driving with no valid license.

Police said they approached a vehicle that Tomlinson was in because Tomlinson and the passengers looked suspicious.

Tomlinson was charged with the instate warrant.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between Jan. 9 and Jan. 16, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Nick Moroni