Mom was drunk when she picked up her child

A Forest Park woman was charged with DUI and other offenses on the night of Nov. 21 after she picked up her child from the park district allegedly while intoxicated.

A park district employee reportedly called the police to report that Mary Jo Mlady, 40, was acting in a “suspicious” manner when she came to pick up her child from an after-school program.

The officer pulled over the vehicle, which had her child in it, at Circle Avenue and Harrison Street.

Mlady said she had two beers at a bar, but the officer reported her eyes were “bloodshot and glassy,” and her “speech was slurred.”

The officer asked her to perform field sobriety tests, which she failed. In addition, inside her purse, the officer found a half-pint bottle of vodka, 2 grams of marijuana and a pipe.

She was arrested and transported to Forest Park headquarters (the child was picked up at the scene by Mlady’s mother) where she agreed to take a Breathalyzer test. She blew .188, over twice the legal limit of .08.

She was charged with two counts of DUI and single counts of possession of drug equipment, transportation of alcohol and a cannabis control offense.

Catching an unregistered predator

A man with a record as a sex offender with a Chicago address was arrested and charged with a felony on the night of Nov. 21 when police checked his ID and learned he was a convicted felon who had not registered.

According to the police report, officers were called to the local Kmart, 7630 Roosevelt Road, by store employees because 40-year-old Keith Simms refused to leave the store after being told he could not cash a personal check.

When officers arrived, Simms’ identification was run through a state database and police learned he was a non-compliant sex offender.

Simms was convicted of aggravated sexual assault in Tennessee in 1999, according to the police report. At the time of the offense, 1995, the victim was 12 years old, according to the state’s sex offender database.

The suspect told police he intended to register at a Chicago police station after the holidays. He said he meant to do so back in August but was too busy.

Simms was charged with felony failure to register as a sex offender.

Felony retail theft

A Chicago man allegedly tried to steal more than $100 worth of clothes from the local Walmart on the night of Nov. 21.

Thirty-eight-year-old Jamaica Brown was reportedly seen by store security stuffing a variety of clothing items in his jacket and on his person. He then tried to leave the 1300 Desplaines Ave. store, but was detained by security guards and police were called.

According to police, Brown tried to steal approximately $135 worth of clothes. After he was arrested, he told an officer he did so because he needed clothes and didn’t have any money to pay for them.

Brown was charged with felony retail theft because of a previous conviction.

Suspect was going to sell TV and clothes

A Berwyn woman was arrested and charged with felony retail theft on the night of Nov. 21 after Walmart security reportedly caught her trying to steal clothes and a TV from the 1300 Desplaines Ave. store.

Wendy Partridge, 42, was stopped in the parking lot of the local Walmart by security who saw her walk out of the store with a cart containing a 32-inch LCD TV and multiple clothing items, allegedly without paying for them.

When security guards asked her for a receipt, she dismissed the question and tried to get away by saying, “I don’t have time for this.” Security detained her until police arrived, at which point she was arrested.

According to police, a receipt provided by the store tallied the value of the items at $405. Partridge later told police she took the merchandise because she has no money to pay for them and she intended to sell the TV “to an Arab store” to get money for food.

Partridge was taken into custody and slapped with the felony charge, following approval by Cook County State’s Attorney Brad Dickey.

DUI and traffic violations

Police arrested an Oak Park woman who was driving drunk in the wee hours of Nov. 23 after reportedly returning from a party.

Twenty-five-year-old Arielle Kuening was stopped on the 200 block of Desplaines Avenue after committing traffic violations on nearby streets.

When the reporting officer interviewed her, Kuening appeared intoxicated, so she was asked to perform field sobriety tests but failed them.

She was arrested and taken to headquarters where she agreed to take a Breathalyzer test. According to the report, her blood alcohol content was .102, over the legal limit.

Kuening was charged with two counts, each, of DUI and failure to signal.

These items were obtained from the records of the Forest Park Police Department, Nov. 21-27, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anyone else named in the report has only been charged with a crime.

-Compiled by Nick Moroni