Check out this year’s Forest Park Community Guide!

Online edition –>

Saigon Pho & Café, 7237 W. Madison St., remains closed after a minor fire early Easter morning.

According to village officials, no one was injured and damage was minimal at the Vietnamese restaurant. The fire was extinguished by 1:30 a.m.

“There was smoke and someone left food on the grill too long,” said Village Administrator Tim Gillian. “It started a small fire and that created enough heat to open a sprinkler head,” said Gillian, noting that only one sprinkler activates at a time in the Madison Commons fire system. “[The sprinkler] goes off and puts out the source of heat or smoke.”

Restaurant owners posted a handwritten sign on the door Sunday. The answering machine said the café was closed “for kitchen remodeling.” Attempts to reach owners Huynh and Tuyet Tran were unsuccessful Thursday.

Jean Lotus

Jean Lotus loves community journalism. She covers news, features, two school boards, village council, crime, park district and writes obits for Forest Park Review. She also covers the police beat for...