Employees reported a fire Friday morning at St. John Lutheran Church, 305 Circle Ave., and called 911.
The Forest Park Fire Department summoned the aid of neighboring departments from River Forest and Oak Park, after flames were observed coming from electrical wiring on the southwest corner of the building around 11:15 a.m.
Arcing electrical wires caused sparks, according to Forest Park Fire Chief Steve Glinke. “There was no fire and no hazard,” he emailed on Friday afternoon. Electrical arcing occurs when two wires with a large voltage difference are close together and electricity travels through the air from one to another.
ComEd was alerted to fix the wiring, Glinke said.