Below are candidate-submitted answers to a biographical survey Forest Park Review sent out to all candidates running in this year’s elections.
Profession: Self Employed
Years in Proviso: 32
Are you a Proviso graduate? No
Do you have children who have, are or will be attending Proviso Township high schools? What are their ages?
Three of my children attended and graduated from Proviso Township High School. All three graduated from different universities with double majors. I have one son 31 years old and twin daughters 29 years old.
Why are you running for this office?
I feel that I would be an asset to Proviso Township High School District. I had the pleasures of working for the district for approximately 20 years. That being said I am aware of things that must change in order for the district to move forward. When we have lack of accountability among our administrators/leadership, climate and culture of the schools, lack of attention given to curriculum and instruction, with little and sometimes no support for parents, students, teachers, or staff members. We are headed down a slippery slope. I look forward to bringing reliability and certainty.” Nihil Nisi Optimum” (Nothing but the Best) after all this is the Proviso School motto.
Have you ever run for or served in a local political office before? If so, when and which office?
Yes I have run for local political office before in 2005 as well as 2009 I was seeking office for Proviso Township High School District 209 Board Of Education both times.
Are there individuals or groups which actively encouraged your interest in running for the D209 board? No
What do you consider to be the greatest strengths of Proviso Township High School District 209?
STUDENTS COME FIRST:
- An academic structure that focuses on college and career readiness. Evidenced by yearly student achievement not only at the Math and Science Academy but District wide.
- Diverse student population increases opportunities for all students to gain knowledge from different cultural interactions.
- Ability to connect and build educational partnerships with parents and collaborative partnerships with the community
What are your strongest concerns about the district at this time?
- Leadership- Lack of accountability among administration/leadership
- Lack of attention given to Curriculum and Instruction
- Lack of a Culture of Calm inside of the schools
- Lack of support for all students, teachers and other staff members
- Fiscal Management – We need sound Fiscal Management to alleviate the need for Financial Oversight of District funds
- Student Safety – We need to ensure a safe environment for learning and efficient and effective maintenance and management of school facilities-
- Staff Development – We need to build capacity of staff and administration to support the educational and social needs of our students
How many District 209 school board meetings have you attended in the past two years? Approximately 87.