Disaster relief for April 18 flooding in Forest Park is available, Mayor Anthony Calderone announced at Monday’s village council meeting. The aid process is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Calderone said.

“Regardless of whether you filled out a village form or not, you can still apply [for the assistance],” Calderone said.

Forest Parkers suffering flood damage to their homes or loss because of flooding can apply for the aid online or over the phone, Calderone said.

FEMA’s online application provides a checklist for people looking for assistance.

Before applying, the agency recommends that you have ready a Social Security number; insurance information, including homeowners, flood, automobile, mobile home insurance; a description of the damages, type of disaster (flooding) and type of dwelling or vehicle. The forms also ask for a family’s total annual household income, before taxes, at the time of the disaster. Applicants are required to provide the address and phone number where the damage happened and the address and phone number where the applicant is currently staying.

The website has a questionnaire that routes applicants to programs for which they qualify — for example, whether they are renters or owners of the property.

FEMA will send inspectors to a home to assess the damage, Calderone said, adding that the inspectors usually come relatively soon after an application is made.

“It’s good news for property owners who experienced damage to their homes,” Calderone said.

Access the FEMA website at: www.disasterassistance.gov or call FEMA Help Line 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

Jean Lotus

Jean Lotus loves community journalism. She covers news, features, two school boards, village council, crime, park district and writes obits for Forest Park Review. She also covers the police beat for...