Cathy Woods of Forest park and Owen Bottorff , 7 and Connor Bottorff, 4 of Plainfield watch as the Roos is being demolished.

As the Park District of Forest Park demolishes the Roos factory this week, here’s a brief history of the building:

1918 – Edward Roos builds the E.D. Roos Cedar Chest factory at 7329 Harrison St., with financial backing of his Forest Park bank-owning cousins, Albert Roos Jr. and Fred Roos.

1928 – The Forest Park Review describes the 18,000-square-foot Roos factory as the town’s “largest manufactury,” employing 400 people. Through shrewd marketing in newspapers and magazines, the company sells “must have” Roos cedar bridal chests all over the U.S.

1939-46 – The U.S. government curtails manufacturing, declaring the cedar chests ‘luxury items.’

1943 – Edward Roos dies at age 62.

1951 – Roos company sold and all 150 employees laid off.

1950s-2000s – Factory building home to Fisher Pen Company, Castle Soap Co., Kirk’s soap company, art studios, rock ‘n’ roll band rehearsal space.

2005 – Developer Alex Troyanovsky begins work converting the building into 70 condo lofts and 28 townhomes. Takes out $15 million construction loan.

2009 – Troyanovsky goes bust, building reverts to Amcorp bank.

2010 – Park District of Forest Park passes referendum to purchase building, which they value at $1.3 million. Proposal includes rehabbing building to hold indoor gym, classrooms, preschool and other amenities.

2010-2012 – Amcorp bank closed by FDIC. Assets, including Roos property, assumed by BMO Harris. Property on the books for $4.5 million.

May 2013 – Property enters final stages of foreclosure. Park district acquires for $499,000. Parks Director Larry Piekarz recommends demolition to the park board as the building has sat vacant for three years and sustained severe water damage.

June 2013 – Microburst storm causes a portion of the roof on the north end of the building to collapse. Emergency demolition ordered by the village of Forest Park.

August 2013 – Demolition begins, performed by Midwest Wrecking.

Catch up on Roos news

Roos demolition offers a blank slate for Forest Park

The walls at the Roos building are tumbling down and not a moment too soon. When this building is flattened, we will all look back with gratitude that over its final undignified five years. No one died in this wreck. No roaming teen fell through a hole in the roof. No homeless squatter was done in by a wall collapsing.

Continue reading here.

Roos demolition contract finalized

Park District of Forest Park commissioners, at a meeting Aug. 1, voted to finalize plans for the emergency demolition of the Roos building. Midwest Wrecking Company of Chicago submitted the low bid to demolish the building for no more than $335,000.

Continue reading here.

Who’s Roos?

The enormous brick building with the funny name Roos is being demolished, and with it, brick-by-brick an era of history in Forest Park comes to an end.

Continue reading here.

Jean Lotus

Jean Lotus loves community journalism. She covers news, features, two school boards, village council, crime, park district and writes obits for Forest Park Review. She also covers the police beat for...