The Forest Park Holiday Walk will be a chilly event this year, with temps dipping into the low 20s and maybe — eek! — the teens. Never fear, there are plenty of opportunities at the walk for warming not just hands but hearts as well:
1) Roast a marshmallow: Warm your fingers and toast your toes at the marshmallow bonfire located at Constitution Court (Madison and Thomas). Sip hot cocoa and raise body temps next to the firepit.
2) Snuggle a live reindeer: Pet the woodland creatures who are taking a side-trip to Forest Park before schlepping Santa’s sleigh. Near Todd & Holland Tea Merchants, 7311 Madison St.
3) Sit on Santa’s lap: Or snap a photo of your child sitting on Santa’s lap. Forest Park National Bank lobby, 7348 Madison. Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive by fire truck at the Christmas tree in Constitution Court at 6 p.m.
4) For that warm feeling you get helping your local Historical Society, pick up a Forestparkopoly game to place under the tree for your favorite Forest Parkers. Available for $25 at Centuries and Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 Madison St.
5) After a horse-drawn sleigh ride down the street, warm up in merchants’ shops along Madison. Awaiting you are special sales, seasonal music and holiday treats. See the shopkeepers’ creative “live window” displays, always the hit of the Holiday Walk. Vote for the most creative window and support the special mix of merchants who make up Madison Street.