A man in a “fancy red car” asking for the phone number of a mother walking to Betsy Ross School March 4 did not commit a crime, said Forest Park Deputy Chief Thomas Aftanas. In an email sent to parents from Betsy Ross Secretary Patty Marino, the incident was characterized as an “attempted abduction.”

According to the school email, a woman told the school she was walking with a child when a “car blocked her path and the gentleman driving the car complimented her and asked for her phone number and asked her to come with him.”

The email continued, “The mother and child fled the scene.”

Aftanas said police interviewed the mother and determined that no crime took place.

“The driver of the car did not block anyone’s path,” Aftanas said. “The driver asked an adult female for her phone number and left the area when she did not respond.”

“An officer determined no crime had been committed,” Aftanas added.

Principal William Milnamow said no follow-up notification was issued to parents.

Jean Lotus

Jean Lotus loves community journalism. She covers news, features, two school boards, village council, crime, park district and writes obits for Forest Park Review. She also covers the police beat for...

6 replies on “Cops say no crime committed in Betsy Ross “attempted abduction” alert”