Firefighters from neighboring towns assisted the Forest Park Fire Dept. to put out a two-flat fire with no injuries June 29. Photo: James A. Nelson

Solvent-soaked rags were determined to be the cause of a Forest Park blaze with no injuries that started in an uninhabited two-flat in the 900 block of Dunlop around 2 a.m., Sunday morning, Fire Chief Steve Glinke said.

“Workers were refinishing the floors and they had discarded some polyurethane-soaked rags in a bucket,” Glinke said, adding “Linseed oil and other [floor finishes] tend to self-heat in enclosed spaces.”

The building had been purchased by an investor and was being remodeled, he noted.

The fire was reported around 2 a.m. Assisting firefighters from River Forest, North Riverside, Oak Park, Maywood, Cicero and Berwyn helped fight the blaze. The fire was struck around 3:30 a.m., Glinke said. 

Jean Lotus

Jean Lotus loves community journalism. She covers news, features, two school boards, village council, crime, park district and writes obits for Forest Park Review. She also covers the police beat for...