A 17-year-old boy involved in an alleged carjacking in Hillside died after jumping onto the Eisenhower Expressway from the eastbound Harlem Avenue exit ramp while trying to run from police on Sept. 9. 

Tyrece Coleman, of the 7400 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue in Chicago, was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, where he was pronounced dead at 9:09 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner.

According to police, Coleman was one of five subjects who hijacked a black Jaguar in Hillside and fled eastbound from that suburb on the Eisenhower Expressway. 

Police apprehended two suspects, both juveniles, as they attempted to flee on foot. Two others were able to evade capture, with one subject reportedly hijacking a smaller black SUV stopped in traffic on I-290.

At about 8:30 p.m., Forest Park police were alerted that other agencies were pursuing a black Jaguar that had been hijacked in Hillside and was headed east on I-290.

The Jaguar exited the expressway at Desplaines Avenue and headed south, the wrong way, down Troost Avenue to Roosevelt Road, where it headed west, cut through the 7-Eleven gas station parking lot and sped north on Desplaines Avenue.

The Jaguar continued north to Jackson Boulevard, where it headed east, cut through the lot at Thorntons Gas Station and then south on Harlem Avenue before crashing into three vehicles stopped in traffic at the entrance to I-290.

All five suspects jumped out of the car at that point, with one heading north on Harlem Avenue. He was apprehended by a Bellwood police officer. Another subject fled westbound down the I-290 exit ramp. He was not apprehended by police.

Three others, including Coleman, ran down the eastbound ramp to I-290. A state trooper pursuing the three subjects tried to use a Taser to stop one of them, but the weapon failed to hit its mark.

As the subjects ran eastbound down the ramp, Coleman suddenly leapt over the concrete side wall of the ramp into the eastbound lanes of traffic. He was unresponsive when emergency personnel reached him, police said.

The two others waded through heavy traffic stopped on I-290, according to police, attempting to get into vehicles. One of the subjects was able to open a passenger door of a black SUV and enter it. The SUV was last seen eastbound on I-290.

The remaining subject climbed through a fence onto the railroad tracks south of the expressway and fled west under the Harlem Avenue bridge. A Forest Park Police K-9 unit later found the subject hiding in some bushes in the area along the railroad right of way between Harlem and Circle avenues. He was taken to Oak Park hospital for treatment of injuries sustained during his flight from police.

Illinois State Police assumed jurisdiction of the death investigation, while Hillside police took custody of the black Jaguar and the two subjects apprehended by police.

A call to Hillside police seeking information on charges against the two suspects who were apprehended was not returned.