At Grant-White, teachers and students are taking 2-3 minutes at key points of the day to relax and practice exercises included in Calm Classroom. Staff was trained in the program in February by Ms. Suarez, the school social worker. The program was implemented in classrooms this week. Please see below for more information about what Calm Classroom is and its benefits in an academic environment.
The Calm Classroom program is the Luster Learning Institute’s vehicle for carrying out its mission and vision.
The program is composed of scripted research-based mindfulness techniques that develop breathing, stretching, relaxation and focusing skills.
Students Learn How to Overcome:
- Difficulty learning in school
- Anxiety, toxic stress and trauma
- Violence towards oneself and others
Calm Classroom is Founded On:
- Simplicity of implementation
- Quality training
- Long-term support
- 3rd party research
- Ongoing evidence of positive results.
Calm Classroom is implemented school-wide from preschool through high school.
- Teachers and students practice the scripted mindfulness techniques in their classrooms one to three times per day. Each technique is three minutes in length.
- School counselors, social workers, deans and administrators use the techniques in one-on-one and small group meetings with students who are struggling with behavioral, emotional and academic challenges.
- Restorative Practices Coaches use the techniques in small group interventions.
Transforming Schools, Changing Lives
We all want to see young people achieve academically, develop and maintain emotional stability, and build respectful and caring relationships. It takes all of us working together to address the obstacles that prevent children from living the life they deserve.
The Calm Classroom program addresses the root cause of these obstacles by empowering young people to find focus in a world of distractions, emotional stability in the midst of chaos, and peace in times of conflict.
With your help, we can give children, parents, teachers, and communities the resources and opportunities they need to thrive.