The Des Plaines Valley Mosquito Abatement District will be spraying in a number of west suburban areas on Aug. 9 between 8 p.m. and midnight. Spraying is a way for the district to control the adult mosquito population during a time in which the district is seeing an increase in positive tests for West Nile Virus.
Weather permitting, vehicles will be spraying the following suburbs:
- Forest Park, south of Harvard Street
- River Forest, south of Chicago Avenue
- North Riversde
- Riverside, north of Longcommon Road and north of the BNSF Railroad
- LaGrange Park, east of the IHB Railroad and north of 31st Street
- Maywood, between I-290 and Harvard Street, from 17th Avenue to 25th Avenue
- Broadview, south of Roosevelt Road and north of Roosevelt Road between 17th Avenue and 25th Avenue.
On Aug. 3, the district reported that it had tested 698 mosquito pools, 124 of which tested positive for West Nile Virus. As a result, according to the district’s website, people should take caution at dusk and dawn to wear long sleeves and long pants, wear insect repellent and make sure there are no gaps in screens, near window air conditioners and dryer vents.