Combining current and historic pleasures, the Historical Society of Forest Park held its first Progressive Dinner on Sept. 15, highlighting the newly-renovated Roosevelt Road.
Forty-five neighbors and friends kicked off the night at McGaffers for appetizers and stories about the Harlem Racetrack, Blind John Condon, the marble statue titled “Death of Cleopatra,” the golf course, the torpedo factory and the mall. McGaffers proprietor, Pat Malone, even shared a 1938 video of what is now McGaffers from one of his beloved patrons, Adolph.
Guests then progressed over to the warmth and generosity of Tom and Charlie Tzouras and the staff of the Golden Steer for a feast. Stories were shared, from Elizabeth Taylor’s visit to tales from the days the Steer was known as the Pink Clock to the regular visits from Chicago Tribune columnist John Kass. The Golden Steer is getting ready for its 50th year serving great food and exceptional French onion soup this year.
The final destination, Nadeau’s Ice House was a show-stopper, with ice cream from Brown Cow Ice Cream Parlor served in a specially carved block of ice. Owner Jim Nadeau wowed the crowd with a historic ice-carving demonstration in honor of the Historical Society visit. Visitors enjoyed a game of bags with custom-made bean bags tossed on ice-carved headstones.
The Historical Society of Forest Park is planning their next engagements in October and November and is planning the next Historical Progressive Dinner in the spring of 2019.