Woman fires shots at vehicle near the Ike

A Harwood Heights man told police a woman shot at his car near the intersection of Harlem and I-290 about 3:06 a.m. on Jan. 9. The victim told police he was driving south on Harlem at Division in River Forest when a vehicle pulled in front of his BMW. The woman kept braking in front of him, forcing him to slam on the brakes multiple times. 

The woman’s suspicious behavior caused the man to take a picture of her car. The man continued to drive south on Harlem, entered the right lane and attempted to pull onto the I-290 ramp when he heard two bullets strike his vehicle. The woman sped off.

Officers recovered two bullet casings.

Blue Line battery

Police arrived at the Forest Park Blue Line station, 711 Desplaines Ave., around 4:50 p.m. on Jan. 8, on a call about a woman beaten near the south end of the tracks.

A Chicago woman, 28, told police that a man stepped on the back of her foot when she was walking down the stairs. She turned around and said “excuse me,” and the man began striking her with his fists, pulling her hair and dragging her in the terminal. He then ran out of the station.

The woman’s hair was disheveled and she had a broken nail that was bleeding. She refused medical attention.

CTA employee threatened

Police arrived at the Forest Park Blue Line station, 711 Desplaines Ave., at 11:37 p.m. on Jan. 9, on a call that a Bartlett man was threatening a CTA employee. Officers could hear yelling when they arrived.

The employee told officers he approached the Bartlett man, and asked why he was attempting to bring a large stick on the train. The man replied, “[expletive] Latinos,” and threatened to beat the employee with the stick.

Police placed the Bartlett man in custody and charged him with aggravated assault, criminal trespass to state-supported land and disorderly conduct.

Man attacked on CTA

A Chicago man told police that two men attacked him at the Forest Park Blue Line station, 711 Desplaines Ave., about 7 p.m. on Jan. 6.

He told police he had attended church service at Living Word Christian Center earlier that day and was entering the CTA turnstile when he heard two men call out, “Hey, you owe me money.”

The man was pulled backward up the escalator, put in a headlock and struck in the face repeatedly. The men took his bus pass and money and then fled.

The victim took the train to the Austin stop and called a friend to pick him up. He admitted himself to West Suburban Medical Center emergency room on Jan. 9 for treatment to his left eye, nose and head. Upon inspection, doctors found he suffered a fractured vertebrae in his neck. He was transported to Stroger Hospital where surgery was scheduled for Jan. 11.

Man batters pregnant woman

Police arrived at an apartment on the 7400 block of Randolph at 3:46 a.m. on Jan. 12, on a call that a Forest Park man was shaking and hitting a pregnant woman from Berwyn.

The victim told police she was driving herself, the father of her unborn child, and the Forest Park man home from a night out when the latter started drinking in the car. She asked him to stop and the man became very angry, slapping her in the face and stomach and punching her shoulders.

The victim ran from the vehicle to protect her unborn child and the man ran after her. He grabbed her arm, causing her jacket to rip, and started to aggressively shake her.

Police transported the alleged attacker to the station, where he started crying and screaming obscenities at officers and banging on his cell door. He was charged with domestic battery, three counts of resisting a police officer and obstruction. The woman told police she would see her doctor later that day.

Post Office to the rescue

A man claiming to be a 90-year-old woman’s grandson called her on Jan. 9, claiming that he was arrested for DUI and needed bond money. He asked the Forest Park woman how much she had and she replied, “A couple hundred dollars.” The phone disconnected.

The woman received another call two days later, from a man claiming to be a case worker who needed $8,500 to free her grandson from jail. A friend drove her to Forest Park National Bank to get a cashier’s check. Bank tellers told her she was likely the victim of a scam. She decided to send the cashier’s check anyway.

On Jan. 12, she woke about 1 a.m. with a “bad feeling” about the transaction. She called family members and realized she was the victim of fraud.

The U.S. Postal Service was able to intercept the check.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Forest Park Police Department, Jan. 8-14, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Nona Tepper