For the second year in a row, Chicago Magazine ranked Proviso Math and Science Academy, 8601 Roosevelt Rd. in Forest Park, the third-best high school in suburban Cook County.
The 2019 rankings “were based on data obtained from the Illinois State Board of Education data for the 2017-18 school year, the most recent available,” the magazine explained.
Chicago Magazine used a variety of measures, including per-pupil spending, student performance on the SAT and other standardized tests, attendance and graduation rates. The following high schools rounded out the top five:
- New Trier Township High School, Winnetka
- Glenbrook North High School, Northbrook
- Proviso Mathematics & Science Academy, Forest Park
- Glenbrook South High School, Glenview
- William Fremd High School, Palatine
PMSA was also ranked third-best by Chicago Magazine in the publications’ 2018 rankings.
In 2016, the publication ranked PMSA the best suburban high school in Cook County. Chicago did not publish rankings that year.