Check out this year’s Forest Park Community Guide!

Online edition –>

This photo, taken around 1900, is of one of Forest Park’s taverns. According to research by Dr. Frank Orland in 1974, it was owned by Max Schultz (5th from left) and was located at Lathrop and Brown Avenues. On the left, a gentleman is holding a container that was utilized to transport beer for private consumption, perhaps in his home. Long before the six-pack was invented, this was referred to as “rushing the growler.” Notably, around the bar are various items hanging from walls, including a gun powder pouch, a Schlitz beer sign, a coal bag and cigarette butts on the floor.