Chicago police chase ends in Forest Park

Field-Stevenson Intermediate Elementary School on lockdown during chase

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

By Nona Tepper

A Chicago police chase ended in Forest Park at about 2:20 p.m. on May 15, with officers arresting two people while a third eluded capture, according to Forest Park Police Chief Tom Aftanas. Field-Stevenson Intermediate Elementary School was placed on lockdown for about 20-minutes during the chase as a precaution. D91 did not immediately respond to interview requests about if all schools were placed on lockdown. 

Aftanas said Chicago police chased a stolen vehicle involved in an armed robbery down the Eisenhower Expressway at about 1:50 p.m. The vehicle had been carjacked somewhere near Malcolm X College in Chicago the day before, Aftanas said, and had been involved in "at least" four armed robberies in Chicago since that time.

After being chased down the Eisenhower, the vehicle exited the interstate and pulled over at the intersection of Lathrop Avenue and York Street in Forest Park, where three people got out of the car and started running, Aftanas said.

Chicago police were able to immediately get two of the people in custody, according to Aftanas. The third ran away. Chicago police did not immediately respond to an interview request.

Shortly after the arrest, Forest Park police spotted a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed north on Desplaines Avenue toward Harrison Street, Aftanas said. Police chased it east on Harrison Street, north on Harlem Avenue and eventually to Lake Street in Oak Park.

At that point, Aftanas said the officers received a call from the Chicago Police Department that the car was not involved in with the earlier armed robbery. Forest Park police abandoned the chase as the car traveled east toward Chicago.

"Our chase policy says we chase for a forceable felony, which includes armed robbery. If we don't know why the car is fleeing we terminate," Aftanas said, adding that the policy is designed to protect officers, pedestrians, other motorists and offenders.

"On Lake Street, where there's shoppers and only one lane of traffic in each direction, there's going to be a car crash," Aftanas said. 

Eventually, Chicago police called the Forest Park police and said that the car officers were chasing was involved in the initial incident.

They said the third individual ran from the stolen car at Lathrop Avenue and York Street and, at some point, hopped into the car.

Love the Review?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Forest Park Review and We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Reader Comments

1 Comment - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Susan Beyersdorf Beach  

Posted: May 15th, 2019 9:03 PM

I'm confused. The stolen car ended up in the townhome driveway at DUNLOP and York. In fact, until just recently it was still there awaiting evidence technicians.

Facebook Connect

Community Guide 2019 - 2020

To view the full print edition of the Forest Park Review 2019 - 2020 Community Guide, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Forest Park.

MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad

Latest Comments