By Maria Maxham
In anticipation of the arrival of the $750,000 state grant promised last year for demolition of abandoned buildings on the village-owned Altenheim property, the village council voted unanimously at a June 22 meeting to approve project specifications and contract documents and to authorize for the advertising of bids as soon as the grant is awarded.
Village Administrator Tim Gillian said in an interview that although there's no official word on when exactly the grant money will be received, the village thinks it's "coming pretty quickly" and wants to be ready to move as soon as funds are available.
Two residents submitted public comments, concerned about issues with lead, asbestos and dust as well as parking and staging for construction vehicles and workers.
Gillian addressed these concerns, stating that before any demolition in the village occurs, even one as small as a garage, the county has to issue a permit.
"In this case, I believe, the state of Illinois issues a demolition permit as well," said Gillian. "They are ultimately responsible to make sure that lead, asbestos, dust and all those different abatements take place. Those requirements are in place not only in our contract but also in the permitting process required by the county."
Commissioner Ryan Nero said he'd reviewed the contract, and abatements for dust, asbestos and lead were all written into it.
Gillian addressed parking too, stating that "there is ample parking on-site."
Community Guide 2019 - 2020
To view the full print edition of the Forest Park Review 2019 - 2020 Community Guide, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Forest Park.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|