Forty Years Ago

Helen Cody, described as an internationally known decorator, purchased a pet poodle complete with papers (not the training kind). Its name was “Mr. Peppy,” and it had traveled the world with its mistress for nine years. Its value was given at $2,000.

While shopping at Zayre’s (the former site of PSMA High School, she had left “Peppy” in the locked car as she usually did. Upon returning, the side window of the car had been bashed and the dog was gone. (Doggone?) She called Forest Park police who suggested she place an ad in Chicago papers.

In a day or two she received a call from a man who claimed to have found “Mr. Peppy” and that she should meet him at Belmont and River Rd. for a $50 exchange. Lt. Tobin went along with her, and they met. When the man handed over ol’ Pep and reached for the envelope Tobin grabbed him and took him into custody.

A dog of some worth. A dognapper of some stupidity.

From the Mar. 3, 1966 issue of the Forest Park Review

Thirty Years Ago

Know anybody who’s hurting emotionally? Worried? Anxious? Confused? Fearful? Depressed? Maybe compulsive? You, or someone you know, don’t have to be suffering from all the above; even one or two of them can make your life less than enjoyable. The Review carried an article about a group originally formed in 1934 to help former mental patients (and just plain nervous patients). Its purpose was “to prevent relapses in mental patients and chronicity (chronic symptoms) even in the nervous,” whether they had been hospitalized or not.

A non-profit group, Recovery Inc., offers no diagnoses, treatment, advice or counseling. It does not supplant the physician, and each member is expected to follow the authority of his or her personal physician. Recovery simply offers self-help after-care and training in self-leadership to those 18 or older. Attendance and participation is voluntary, meetings are open to the public and a free-will is taken to carry on the work of the organization.

Personal note: I have attended Recovery meetings, practiced its method, read the required textbook and given examples of the trivialities of everyday living that can cause stress almost too difficult to manage. It has improved the quality of my life and mental health.You can get more information by calling Recovery, Inc., 802 N. Dearborn St., Chicago at 312 337-5661.

From the Mar. 24, 1976 issue of the Forest Park Review

Twenty Years Ago

Bob Haeger did a little reminiscing in his “Once Over Lightly” column. He was leafing through a bound collection of 1972 Reviews and was reminded that he was “upped” from editor to publisher on Nov. l of that year. Larry Kaercher had become editor then. “Howard Mohr was our mayor and Santo Rizzo, Ed Lambke, John Hanley and Jim Sansone were the commissioners. Mohr, it was pointed out, was also our state senator, and he served exactly ten years, dying suddenly after a farewell breakfast honoring him in Springfield. Richard Wood, a lawyer and former Nebraska legislator, ran unsuccessfully to replace him.

Haeger reported that Forest Park made news even by overseas radio by enforcing a ban on trick-or-treating. In its place came parties at schools and the Legion Hall, along with the village’s first Spook House at the park.

Typically, Publisher Bob ended his reminiscence on a humorous note: “I keep having this terrible nightmare in which I win $1 million from Publishers Clearing House”but have to take in magazines.”

From the March 19, 1986 issue of the Forest Park Review

Ten Years Ago

New York writer Fran Lebowitz said it best (Just look at the backside small print of a Lottery ticket): “The chances of winning the Big Lottery are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not.” Ha! Tell that to Forest Parker Phil Birko”and hold onto your hat. He won 11 times in a memorable day”March 9, l996! He was one of two winners of the $12 million drawing. And he got it right on 10 Pick-Four prizes, as well. A regular Lottery player, Birko, then 46, purchased the ticket at Arrow Liquors here, earning the store 1 percent of the take. He expected to leave his job, working the graveyard shift at National Casting Co., Cicero.

Unavailable for comment, his sister-in-law said he called and “scared the daylights out of me. I thought he was having a heart attack.” She said he and his wife had a 9 year-old daughter, that he moved to the United States from the Philippines in the mid-l970s, and that he lived in Forest Park for 17 years.

From the March 20, 1996 issue of the Forest Park Review