Forty Years Ago

The “winds of war” were blowing in the Far East, and one of Forest Park’s sons, Mike Lyons, was in the midst of the madness. He was awarded the Air Medal for distinguishing himself on flying duty in support of combat ground troops in Vietnam. In every one of his 25 missions flown, his aircraft was a target for hostile enemy ground fire. Forty years later and still the words, “Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it.”

Meanwhile, back on the home front, two weeks after classes began at Proviso East racial disturbances took place. According to the Forest Park Review, the metropolitan media “over reported” what might have been little more than a kerfuffle; certainly not a “riot.” The Review said that some TV and radio reporters shouted hysterically when a calm, objective description would have sufficed.

Two weeks ago this column reported an overreaction to a protest march that had racial overtones. That march was just a few weeks prior to disturbance at the high school. It had to do with property rights, people, police and the wrongs of slavery. A “long, hot summer.”

From the Sept. 14 and 28, 1967, Forest Park Review

Thirty Years Ago

Delicate issues were at stake. Back before Fred Marunde was mayor of Forest Park he was one of the commissioners at village hall. Speaking out on behalf of the village, he publicly chastised Police Chief Richard Drane, faulting him for talking to the press about police wage negotiations. Said Marunde: “When it comes to contract talks nothing can be gained by going to the press with little pieces of information.”

Chief Drane acknowledged that he did make remarks to a Review reporter: “The press came to me. It has a certain right to know. I answered what I was asked truthfully. In unresolved matters like this,” he said, “it’s often a thin line as to what’s appropriate.” Marunde replied that public officials are often asked their opinion by news reporters, but if there is nothing new or concrete to say then no statement should be given.

Village government machinery along with differing opinions and interpretations will always be present. Sometimes everything meshes; other times things can get contentious.

From the Sept. 28, 1977, Forest Park Review

Twenty Years Ago

Funeral services were held for Roberta Krivanek, the 16-year-old Berwyn girl who died from head injuries after the car in which she was riding plunged onto the eastbound lanes of the Eisenhower Expressway. Gregory Howard, also a passenger in that car, was reported in intensive care with a ruptured spleen at Loyola Hospital. He was expected to recover fully. Miraculously the driver of the death car, Vernon Hubbard, 17, of Forest Park, which had split in two, was admitted to Loyola and discharged the next day. Both had been ejected from the vehicle.

From the June 24, 1987, Forest Park Review

Ten Years Ago

As editor Leslie Cummings put it, “He was a good dog … always there with a wagging tail … a panting face … and a narcotics bust.” So begins the eulogy for Forest Park K-9 Officer Hammer who moved on to bigger, juicier bones after passing away July 27, 1997.

Rescued from a pound, the black and tan rottweiler police mascot became well-known and well-loved around the village, first being trained for narcotics searches to sniff out marijuana, coke and heroin and their derivatives. He served for three years and was credited with 30 arrests. It’s said he loved his training and especially liked biting bad guys or keeping people intimidated in squad cars.

Hammer partnered with Officer Bob Genualdi, and when Genualdi retired to Tucson, Ariz., he took his pal with him. He was good company on the trip, said the policeman in a letter, wolfing down cheeseburgers and fries during the 2,000 mile journey the–the way he did while on patrol duty here, rarely leaving anything behind. But when he died he left behind his widow, Gretchen, along with the Genualdi family. Good dog.

From the Aug. 6, 1997, issue of the Forest Park Review