An outraged motorist twice got out of his car to chase after a pedestrian with whom he had exchanged terse words before he was arrested for battery when he allegedly struck the man in the face with his fist, according to a police report.

Shortly after 4 p.m. on March 27, Randy Mason, 50, was driving along Roosevelt Road when he turned into the median zone in an effort to get into the turning lane for Harlem Avenue. However, a pedestrian was standing in the median waiting to cross the street and was impeding Mason’s progress. According to authorities, Mason began yelling obscenities at the pedestrian and then got out of his car to confront him.

When Mason returned to his car and lurched the vehicle forward, the pedestrian struck the hood of the vehicle with his fist, according to authorities, prompting Mason to again get out of the car. Mason allegedly pushed the pedestrian, whose name was redacted from police reports, and faked a punch in the man’s direction.

As the unidentified pedestrian fumbled with his cell phone to call the police, Mason chased him across the street. A second foot chase occurred when the pedestrian deliberately stood in front of Mason’s car, but ended when Mason allegedly punched the pedestrian.

Mason, a Chicago resident, is scheduled to appear in court on May 13.

Stop yields crack cocaine

When police stopped a vehicle along Harlem Avenue for driving erratically and having an obstructed windshield, they discovered several grams of crack cocaine and a pipe used to ingest the narcotic, according to a department report.

The March 22 arrest of 55-year-old Mark A. Garcia, of Lincolnshire, occurred shortly after 5:30 p.m. and Garcia was charged with once count of drug possession. According to authorities, the man was caught with 7 grams of narcotics.

In a signed statement given to police, Garcia stated that he suffers from a psychological condition and he uses the crack cocaine to treat the illness.

DUI suspect: ‘I wasn’t even driving’

A Berwyn man stopped for weaving and speeding along Circle Avenue is facing a felony charge for driving under the influence after allegedly admitting that he consumed a six pack before getting behind the wheel.

Robert E. Harris, 29, was taken into custody shortly after 1 a.m. on March 30. According to authorities, Harris was spotted traveling at a high rate of speed along Roosevelt Road before making a wide turn onto Circle Avenue where he continued to speed.

Standing at the driver’s window with a request for his license and insurance information, the officer received only a blank stare. Upon making a second request, the officer learned that Harris had neither, according to his report, and also detected several signs of intoxication.

As Harris stepped out of the car at the officer’s request, he allegedly told police he had consumed six beers. During the course of several field sobriety tests, Harris swayed back and forth on his feet, expressed confusion over what was occurring and contradicted himself on several occasions, according to police.

“I wasn’t even driving, I was just going home,” Harris allegedly said when he was placed under arrest. A search of the vehicle also turned up $700 in cash.

Home may be target for prowlers

A woman returned to her apartment at 1030 Circle Ave. March 25 and found several signs of a break-in, according to police, and later told authorities of a similar incident that had occurred roughly two weeks prior.

Sometime between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. an intruder entered the woman’s apartment and stole a Sony PSP2 game system and a number of video games from her sons’ bedroom, according to a department report. The woman also informed authorities that several weeks ago another burglary had occurred and several pieces of jewelry were taken.

Authorities were unable to process the scene for the purpose of gathering evidence, they said, because the alleged victim had already disturbed the apartment.

Mother claims son battered her

An 18-year-old was arrested on charges of domestic battery after police were called to an apartment at 217 Brown Ave. by the teen’s mother. According to authorities, the woman reported that her son had pushed her onto the couch, spit in her face and trashed the apartment.

The woman claimed that the March 24 incident began when her son, Robert T. Morse, arrived at the apartment to find that his mother had packed all his belongings. She told authorities that she was frustrated by her son coming and going at odd hours and wished he would move out. Morse allegedly admitted to spitting in the woman’s face, but said he did so only after she struck him. Morse’s father was a witness to the event, according to a department report, but told police he was unsure how the incident started.

These items were taken from the records of the Forest Park Police Department between March 23 and March 30, 2008, and represent only a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in this report has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Josh Adams