Ambitious shoplifting outing thwarted

A Kmart security guard summoned police the morning of June 11 after stopping two women observed allegedly concealing clothing and jewelry in their purses and attempting to leave without paying. Police arrested Sandra Decosola, 39, of Forest Park, and Chicago resident Kristina L. Dypas, 29, and recovered 28 items from the pair with a total value of $454.96. Dypas and Decosola were both charged with retail theft.

Wallet, tools snitched from sedan

The owner of a Toyota sedan parked in the 7500 block of Dixon Street June 13 told police someone broke into his car and stole three electric tools from the back seat and a wallet from the glove compartment. The wallet held discount cards and two credit cards, which were quickly used by persons unknown at a Maywood gas station and at an unknown Oak Brook location.

Pedestrian rescued in crosswalk

A Chicago woman driving a Honda 4-door got herself pulled over at 6:30 p.m. June 13, after nearly hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk at Madison and Beloit. The westbound Honda allegedly did not even slow down at the pedestrian-occupied crosswalk, even though an eastbound driver could be seen already stopped in acknowledgement of the person crossing the street. She was charged with driving violations.

Unwelcome flirting leads to fight, underage drinking arrest

Police responded to reports of a fight outside Shortstop Lounge in the 7400 block of Madison Street around 2 a.m. June 14. There, they found two males walking eastbound away from the location yelling and screaming. One of the yellers allegedly jumped onto a third man; they began to struggle on the ground. After police separated the men, a Berwyn woman on the scene explained the pounced-upon man had made unwanted sexual advances to her while inside the bar, and would not stop despite being advised to do so by the woman’s boyfriend. The jumper, a Forest Park resident, was charged with public fighting and released. His attacker, a 20-year-old Berwyn man, was charged with public fighting and underage drinking.

Cell phones stolen from bag at pool

A witness at the park district swimming pool told police he observed two people steal a cell phone from someone’s beach tote bag around 4:30 p.m. June 14 and try to flee the pool enclosure. Two suspects were held, one after a brief effort at running away. Two more people approached police to complain that they, too, were missing cell phones. One phone was recovered in the grass at the edge of the property, another behind a garbage can. Both suspects refused to make any statements. One, a juvenile, was released into his aunt’s custody. The other, an 18-year-old Forest Park man, was out on bond from a separate criminal case and was held over for bond court the following morning.

Flaw in self-checkout becomes obvious

Two women were held by Walmart security around 6 p.m. June 14 after reportedly being observed scanning items at the self-checkout only after retagging them with stick-on price tags bearing lower prices. Security guards found one woman, a 33-year-old Chicagoan, scanned a $1 drinking mug in lieu of the actual price tags for $92.48 worth of items, for a total loss to the store of $85.48. The other woman, a 27-year-old Berwyn resident, used a discount shampoo price tag of 78 cents and scanned it instead of the actual tags for seven items valued at a total of $110.99. They were charged with retail theft.

So not impressed

At Madison and Elgin, a police officer could hear loud music issuing from a Nissan Altima four cars ahead of the squad car the evening of June 14. Since the music could be heard well over 100 feet away, the officer pulled over a 36-year-old Chicago man who received a ticket for the offense, reportedly stated to police that he played the music loud because he was “trying to impress people.” He was charged with creating a disturbance.

Early morning break-ins at two restaurants

Police responding to an alarm around 6 a.m. June 16 found the front door locks of a restaurant in the 7600 block of Madison had been removed, enabling someone to enter the building. When the owner arrived on scene, it was learned at $50 was missing from the cash register. A check of the business next door revealed that door had also been tampered with, though unsuccessfully.

These items were obtained from the records of the Forest Park Police Department, June 10-15 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anyone named in the report has only been charged with a crime.