Forest Parkers took a look at the Congress Street highway plans in 1955. The big issue at that time was the lack of access between the north and south sides of town via the Circle Ave. bridge during the two year construction of the highway.
Limiting villagers to travel only on Harlem or Des Plaines to get from one side of town to the other was not an option that set well in town. Mayor Meyer, Commissioner Lambke, Village Attorney O’Shea, Chamber, Park Board and clergy took action with the highway department engineers. In the end an agreement was made to create a detour on Hannah avenue during the construction to connect the north and south sides of town.