When Homer’s Restaurant, which is now the parking lot of Forest Park National Bank on Madison Street between Circle and Hannah avenues, was demolished after a fire, the building next door revealed an old painted advertisement for “Bull” Durham Smoking Tobacco.
The ad was emblazoned on the wall of what is now the Jacknow Real Estate office at 7342 Madison St. This ad likely would have been painted before 1920, when many “Bull” Durham signs popped up in Chicagoland. In the background is the Lande Bros. Department Store at 7345 Madison St., which succeeded the Wolfe Bros. Dry Goods Store in 1918. Today the Lande Bros. store is the antiques mall known as the Forest Park Emporium.
It’s unclear exactly when the “Bull” Durham sign was painted over, but it appears to have been between 1987-1990. Accoridng to Jerry Jacknow, the sign was not visible when he moved his real estate office to the building in 1990.