Carjacking suspect arrested in Forest Park

Police from Forest Park, Oak Park, River Forest, Berwyn and Maywood converged on the 8200 block of Roosevelt Road on April 1 about 4:15 p.m., eventually apprehending a juvenile suspected of hijacking a vehicle in downtown Oak Park earlier in the day.

According to Oak Park police, the juvenile suspect stole the vehicle by pushing past the owner, who had just stepped out of it in the 1000 block of Lake Street about 3 p.m. No one was injured and the suspect didn’t display a weapon, police said.

Oak Park police said the offender abandoned the vehicle near I-290 and Desplaines Avenue and fled through Forest Home Cemetery before he was spotted crossing Roosevelt Road and into Aperion Care Forest Park, a nursing home.

The suspect reportedly asked a receptionist to use the bathroom, and the receptionist handed over a key. The receptionist, according to police, told police the suspect was still in the bathroom.

When police asked for a key, the employee reportedly said doing so required the approval of a supervisor, who needed to be called first. 

Believing a possibly armed suspect was hiding inside, police said they opted to break open the door of the locked bathroom. No one was inside.

Staff then began locking down rooms inside the facility, police said, believing the suspect might still be onsite. According to police, staff would not give officers keys to open the locked doors, citing privacy rights of residents.

Police later located the suspect running through Waldheim Cemetery east of the nursing home and reported apprehending him without further incident.

Masked man returns to rob store, again

A Harlem Avenue convenience store was robbed again — at about the same time of day and by the same masked, armed man, police say — during the early morning hours of April 1, just eight days after the first incident.

A clerk at 7-Eleven, 205 Harlem Ave., called police at 2:52 a.m. to report that a black male wearing a black jacket, gloves and black bandanna over his face, walked into the store, displayed a semi-automatic handgun and stated, “Give me the money.”

The clerk handed over about $50 from the register, and the offender exited the store, fleeing northbound toward Randolph Street.

According to the police report, based on the appearance of the offender, the circumstances, and the method of the robbery, both the clerk and police believe the offender is the same person who robbed the 7-Eleven about 2:30 a.m. on March 24.

Victim jumped, robbed in parking lot

Forest Park police responded to Riveredge Hospital, 8311 Roosevelt Road, on March 27 about 10:20 p.m. after a 31-year-old employee reported being robbed of his cellphone and cash in the hospital parking lot.

According to the police report, the employee was throwing out some trash on the far north side of the parking lot when 10 men wearing dark clothing exited a gray SUV and attacked him.

The offenders beat the victim, who said he briefly lost consciousness, and stole his phone and about $350 in cash before leaving the area.

Paramedics transported the victim to Loyola University medical center for treatment of his injuries.

Vehicle break-ins

Police responded to the 900 block of Hannah Avenue on the morning of March 29 after a resident called to report that his van, which had been parked on the garage apron overnight, had been burglarized.

According to police, someone broke out the driver’s side window to gain access to the van, removing a Skil saw, a Milwaukee circular saw, a Bosch angle grinder, a Bosch hammer drill and a Bosch point laser.

The total value of the stolen items was about $960.

Also on the morning of March 29, police responded to the 1000 block of Hannah Avenue to investigate an overnight vehicle burglary.

During the overnight hours, someone broke the driver’s side window of a pickup truck, which was parked at the rear of the property, to gain entry and remove more than a dozen power tools and a ratchet set.

The value of the property was about $3,900, according to police.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Forest Park Police Department, March 26-April 1, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Bob Uphues