Check out this year’s Forest Park Community Guide!

Online edition –>

The Turneverin of Harlem was an 1897 German-American gymnastics club.     According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Turnverein movement, started in Berlin in 1811, promoted health and vigor in men and later used to prepare German youth to defend their country against Napoleonic France. The Village of Harlem (now known as Forest Park) had a large German immigrant population, at the turn of the century.  By 1906 Turneverin  group met regularly at Gaden’s Hall at Madison Street and Des Plaines Ave. and claimed to have “the best citizens of the village,” and “men of good character.”