Enrique R. Rosa, 27, was charged with two counts of attempted murder of a peace officer and one count of aggravated battery with a firearm for the April 8 shooting of an Oak Park police officer during a traffic stop.

A bond hearing for Rosa is scheduled for April 11 at the Criminal Court Building, 2600 S. California Ave., in Chicago. Rosa faces up to eight years in prison for each count of attempted murder and a minimum of six years in prison for the count of aggravated discharge of a firearm, if convicted.

The shooting occurred while the Oak Park officer was assisting Forest Park police with a traffic stop at 7 a.m. in the 600 block of Harlem Avenue near the interstate 290 expressway. 

Rosa, of the 2200 block of West Monroe Street in Chicago, was pulled over by the officer and upon stopping out the vehicle, opened fire on the police officer, striking him in his arm. The officer returned fire on Rosa, who sustained two shots to his leg, according to Oak Park spokesman David Powers.

“This incident illustrates the dangerous and unpredictable challenges officers face each and every day as they serve and protect our community,” said Oak Park Police Chief LaDon Reynolds in a village news release.

“The prevalence of firearms and the ease with which they can be obtained makes being a police officer a risky profession. But many still choose to serve because of their dedication and desire to make a difference by literally putting their lives on the line for the greater good. I salute the officer wounded in this incident and wish him – and his family – a speedy recovery from this traumatic experience.”

Both the officer and Rosa were transported to Loyola Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries. The officer, whose name has not been released, was released from the hospital’s care April 10 and is recovering at home. At last report, Rosa was still recovering in the hospital.

Forest Park Deputy Police Chief Ken Gross said the altercation began as a domestic disturbance call on the 900 block of Thomas Avenue in Forest Park. It is believed that the offender took his girlfriend’s car, which he was driving when police stopped him.

The last time an Oak Park officer was shot during active duty was 1983, per Powers.

After the shooting, the suspect was in stable condition and the officer was in “stable but serious condition,” according to Sergeant Christopher “Joey” Watson of the Illinois State Police.

The Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force (PITF) is handling the investigation into the use of force by an Oak Park police officer early April 8, after a shooting occurred between the driver of a vehicle and the officer.

The ramp from Interstate 290 westbound to Harlem Avenue was closed at approximately 7:20 a.m. for the investigation and reopened around 12:30 p.m.