Someone claiming to have stabbed a man found dead later in his Forest Park apartment on Aug. 29, reportedly made a phone call admitting to the crime, according to the incident report released by Forest Park police on Monday.

Forest Park police have called in detectives from the West Suburban Major Crimes Task Force (WESTAF), which investigates suspected homicides, to probe the death of 51-year-old Steven J. Pasko who was found by police inside his apartment at 37 Rockford Ave. on the morning of Aug. 29.

On Monday, afternoon the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled Pasko’s death a homicide, reporting he’d sustained multiple stab wounds.

Police had gone to Pasko’s apartment to conduct a well-being check after being notified by Romeoville police at about 10 a.m. that a resident there had received a “random call from an unknown number.”

The Romeoville resident told police that a female caller identified herself by name and said she had stabbed Pasko. The call came from a phone number that a records check associated with Pasko, who Romeoville police learned lived in Forest Park.

Three Forest Park police officers visited the address where Romeoville police told them Pasko was believed to be living, but a resident there told them Pasko had moved out months before.

Forest Park police learned of another address associated with Pasko and visited there, speaking to a woman who told them Pasko did not live there any longer. That woman, however, knew where Pasko now resided and could point out the building on Rockford Avenue.

Police followed the woman to the building and, unable to get a response from Pasko, who lived in a ground-floor unit, gained entry through a window. After opening a window and lifting the shade, an officer reported seeing Pasko lying on his back on the living room floor in a pool of blood.

Pasko was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:03 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The woman who led police to the apartment building said she had last talked to Pasko on Aug. 27 and that he told her he was supposed to meet a female friend on Aug. 28 to celebrate a new job.

However, that woman told police she was supposed to meet Pasko, but that he didn’t show and didn’t call her, leaving her to believe he had blown off the date.

A preliminary investigation, according to police, has turned up several leads. There is no danger or threat to the public, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Forest Park police at 708-366-2425.