West Suburban Montessori School has been providing an exceptional Montessori education in Oak Park for over 30 years. We value kindness, hard work, and the spark or enthusiasm required for real learning to take place. The children who attend WSMS are on a path toward independence. Our graduates are confident, strong minded, outside of the box thinkers. They are kind, respectful, and curious.
West Suburban Montessori School embodies the educational principles established by Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952), an Italian physician who dedicated her career to the study of children. Following Dr. Montessori’s guidance, we focus on the whole child at WSMS, including the intellectual, physical, emotional, social, and spiritual development of the child.
• Montessori environments have mixed ages: Primary (ages 3-6), Lower Elementary (ages 6-9), and Upper Elementary (ages 9-12)
• Children actively engage in their learning. The guide gives lessons to the student, and the student continues the work independently.
• Hands on learning happens in Montessori environments. The Montessori materials are made to be touched and manipulated.
• Montessori students have freedom of movement. Movement is vital for all children.
• An AMI credentialed guide in each classroom is key. Montessori guides focus on redirection, honest conversation, and encouragement of their students.
• Uninterrupted work cycles are paramount to Montessori classrooms. Students work at their own pace, learn to concentrate deeply, and develop interests in a full range of subject areas.
West Suburban Montessori School is accredited by the Association Montessori International (AMI) to educate children from 3 to 12 years of age.