Construction was scheduled to start, November 1956, on the new $5 million Proviso West High School. Proviso West was to serve students in Bellwood, Berkeley, Hillside, Westchester, parts of Northlake and Stone Park. The two-year construction at the corner of Wolf Road and Harrison Street was designed for an eventual enrollment of 4,000. Plans included 60 classrooms, swimming pool, four gyms, orthopedic gym, dance studio, nine locker rooms, two study rooms, counseling offices, vocational auto shop, drawing rooms, art rooms and a music room.
Photo: Panoramic view of Proviso West High School in Hillside, as proposed by Perkins & Will architects, approved by the Proviso 209 Board of Education, featured in the Oct. 18, 1956 Forest Park Review.