Forty Years Ago
A tale of two cities’ snow removal plans: Note the efficient results of a well-plowed section of Hannah Avenue (top) with the zigzag pattern of a street in a nearby suburb. The difference was the passage of a referendum here that eliminated overnight parking. Note also the old-fashioned, lantern-like street lamp to the right of the top photo”a familiar feature of our village until our present lighting system was adopted.

From the Dec. 1964 issues of the Forest Park Review

Thirty Years Ago
George Bravos, 72, lived on Elgin Avenue at the north end of town. He had the persistence and dedication to accomplish a goal. Arriving in this country with his parents in 1910, he became a career man in the army, serving during WWII and the Korean War. After retiring in 1958 as a colonel, he enrolled in a Roosevelt University degree program, earning a bachelor of general studies degree. Next move: Not knowing enough about urban affairs, he would pursue further studies for his graduate degree.

“Dear Sally: We’re newlyweds and live in an apartment building. Whenever we entertain friends, we have been in the habit of borrowing glasses, silverware, ice cubes and the like from a middle-aged couple in our building. These people are exceptionally friendly and accommodating, and we like them very much. We have been wondering if it would be all right to include them in some of our parties. The only drawback is their age (about 20 years more than ours and our friends. But we don’t feel that we can keep borrowing from them without some show of appreciation in return. – Nebraska.”

“Dear Nebraska: I think you should invite these people to one of your parties and, if they accept, it’s just possible they will contribute more to the party than you imagine. Age has nothing to do with being good company.”

From the Dec. 1974 issues of the Forest Park Review

Twenty Years Ago
Bob Haeger reported that there had been a boa constrictor loose on the 7600 block of Monroe since September. It was a youthful specimen according to Haeger, only three feet long, yet, asserted Haeger, some people had a categorical dislike for boa constrictors of any size. The snake’s name, of course, was Bo, and had been housed in a empty aquarium until it slithered away during an exercise period. Since slithering, he defied every effort to locate him … apparently enjoying the hide-and-seek game more than the nice, fat mouse”his reward for turning himself in. Not turning himself in may have been his downfall; he could have waited too long because he eventually collapsed in the center of the room he had escaped from.

Things were going as planned for three Bellwood youths holding up the White Hen Pantry at Madison Street and Jackson Boulevard just before 2 a.m.”until Officer David Preiwisch cruised by and noticed a man standing against the outside wall of the store. When he returned, the man had entered and was brandishing a gun. Preiwisch radioed for back-up and approached the store as one of the trio was backing out the front door, revolver in hand. The offender was forced to drop his gun as the other two made for the rear door, firing a shot and escaping in their warmed-up car. The 17-year-old suspect caught at the front door was dispatched to Cook County Jail. The other two”age 16 and 14″were arrested later at their homes.

From the Jan. 1985 issues of the Forest Park Review

Ten Years Ago
It happened close to home. It happened close to school. Danielle White, a Proviso East student, was found stabbed to death near the 9th Avenue gate of Hines Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Maywood. The 17-year-old girl had only been attending the school only three months, after moving with her family from Oak Park to Broadview. She was described as a friendly, bubbly, active and popular person with a contagiously happy disposition. She was also a starter on the school’s girl’s basketball team.

Danielle had stayed late at school Friday evening for basketball practice, then lingered to catch her boyfriend’s wrestling match. She had called her mother to say she’d take a bus home and asked that her baby brother be kept awake long enough for her to play with him. Because her body was found on the west grounds of the VA (federal government property) early the next morning, the FBI would join in the investigation. There appeared to be little to go on in the case. Crisis support spokesperson and Assistant Principal Raymond Sturges said, “She was such a good girl. I’m told it was hard for anyone to feel down when she was around.”

From the Dec. 1994 issues of the Forest Park Review