Man dies after falling through skylight

A man whose name and age remain unclear died May 15 after falling through a skylight at C&S Coffee Roasters, 7650 Industrial Drive, while apparently doing some patching work on the roof of the building.

According to the police report, the man was believed to be homeless and was not a regular employee of the business, but would perform odd jobs for cash. No one witnessed the fall, according to the report, but it occurred about 10:50 a.m.

The victim had climbed onto the roof via a roof hatch. He crashed through the skylight and fell between 25 and 30 feet to the warehouse floor, suffering multiple injuries.

Paramedics took the victim to Loyola University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m. The Cook County Medical Examiner ruled the man’s death accidental but could not provide his name or age.


Forest Park police charged five people — one adult and four juveniles — with robbery and possession of a stolen motor vehicle after reportedly beating and robbing a 40-year-old man of his wallet as he worked on a car behind his residence in the 300 block of Circle Avenue on May 16 about 11:15 p.m.

The victim told police he was behind his residence when a black SUV drove up slowly and stopped. Several people — all teenagers — got out and ordered the victim to hand over his wallet. When the victim balked, the offenders punched the victim several times, took his wallet and drove off.

The victim called 911 and police located the SUV stopped in traffic at the Harlem Avenue entrance to I-290, where they apprehended the driver, identified as 19-year-old Dewan Farris, of Chicago, and four juveniles.

Police learned that the SUV, which had temporary license plates, had been stolen in Chicago on April 24. They also reported finding the victim’s wallet on Farris’ person.

In addition, police are investigating whether the same SUV and offenders were responsible for a burglary to a vehicle in the 400 block of Elgin Avenue on May 16 at about 11 p.m.

A witness said he observed two people inside his neighbor’s vehicle, which was parked in the rear of a residence. The two exited the vehicle and got into a dark-colored SUV.

Gambling machines targeted in burglary

Forest Park police responded to Chalk, 7414 Madison St., on the morning of May 21 after the owner called to report that the business had been burglarized overnight.

Police reported that the offenders appear to have gained entry by prying open the interior door to the bar. They then ripped down the security cameras, turned off the power by removing every fuse from the electrical panels in the basement and covered the back window with a sign.

The offenders pried open the cash register and pried and drilled open three video gambling machines, making off with more than $8,000. The offenders also took 34 bottles of various liquors from a basement storage area.

A resident of the 7400 block of Washington Street called police on May 21 to report that she’d been in the hospital since February and returned home to find that someone had stolen a TV and stereo system from her apartment.

The victim stated some clothing was also missing and the food had been taken from her refrigerator. Police observed no signs of forced entry to the apartment.

Stolen car had keys inside

A resident of the 600 block of Elgin Avenue contacted police on May 16 to report that her 2016 Acura RD-X was stolen overnight.

According to the police report, the car may have been unlocked and a set of keys was inside the vehicle.

Man injured in suspected DUI

Charges are pending against a 51-year-old man suspected of being drunk behind the wheel of a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor that struck and seriously injured a 55-year-old man in the 700 block of Harlem Avenue on May 21 about 12:50 a.m.

Police found the victim, who suffered a fractured neck as well injuries to his spleen and kidneys, on the median of the roadway where police also observed the vehicle to be parked.

Paramedics transported the victim to Loyola University Medical Center. His condition is unknown, but he was admitted to the hospital and his discharge date is unknown, police said. Police were unable to interview the victim.

The blood-alcohol of the driver, whose name was withheld by police pending charges, reportedly was .282, which is more than three times the legal limit of .08.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Forest Park Police Department, May 15-21, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

—Compiled by Bob Uphues