A fire at a Madison Street nail salon, started by a neon sign falling onto an upholstered piece of furniture inside the shop, required a response from the Forest Park Fire Department on Labor Day, Sept. 2, at 2:20 p.m.

Fire Chief Bob McDermott said the building sustained no serious fire damage and nobody was hurt.

Forest Park emergency personnel responded to Grand Nails, 7620 Madison St., after someone called 911 to report a fire. Police arriving on the scene reported observing flames within the front window of the salon, which was closed at the time. 

An officer knocked on the door of the residences above to alert possible occupants. Getting no response, the officer forced open both doors to gain access, but found no one inside.

Firefighters forced open the door of the salon to extinguish the fire and broke the front windows to vent the salon, which sustained smoke damage.

A local company was called to board up the structure.